Kibana regex

Hello,

I would like to get the data with Android version.

ua: shows like this
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; HUAWEI CAN-L12 Build/HUAWEICAN-L12; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/65.0.3325.109 Mobile Safari/537.36

and i search it like this:
ua:Android 7 -> only Android match
ua:'Android 7' -> only Android match
ua:"Android 7" -> no match
ua:'Android 7'* -> Android or 7.X match (ex. it includes Android 5.1.1)

how can i get the data only Android 7 version's data (like Android 7.0, Android 7.1.1, and so forth)?

Hey @tarosuzuki, it really depends on how you've indexed your data for how we can best write a query like this. When you index a string into Elasticsearch, it's indexed as either "text" and/or a "keyword".

When the data is indexed as "text" it is run through an analyzer and split into terms which you can then search using full text search constructs. If you're using the standard analyzer, this is going to split a user-agent like "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; HUAWEI CAN-L12 Build/HUAWEICAN-L12; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/65.0.3325.109 Mobile Safari/537.36" into a bunch of separate terms, and it's going to make searching for "Android 7.x" really challenging because a lot of analyzers don't know how to parse user-agents intelligently.

Are you using logstash to index your data? If so, using something like https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-filters-useragent.html will make this a lot easier and performant.

If you're unable to reindex your data in a more structured manner, you can use a query similar to the following with a regex, but it's rather slow: ua.keyword:/.*Android 7\..*/

@Brandon_Kobel
Thank you for your kind reply.
I understand it. i will look at the plugin.
it will be useful for us.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.