Kibana Tile Service and "MAP Proxy"

Has anyone at Elastic tried "MAP Proxy" https://mapproxy.org/

I was thinking that my orginization would hit the same maps over and over, and it would be benifiical to both Performance and hits against the Elastic Tile Server to put this proxy in.

Also, If I wanted to put up a WMS Server of my own, do you have any insite to what I may look at that might be open source and compatable with Kibana?

To my knowledge, as haven't used MapProxy, but I also wasn't very involved in the Elastic Tile Server, so someone may have checked it out along the way. Internally, the server does cache the responses, but you're right, adding MapProxy on your end would mean you'd be a lot nicer to our servers since you'd hit them less frequently. Seems like an optional step though.

As for creating your own WMS server, that's way outside of my knowledge. I know the team that stood our server up used a lot of open source tools and datasets to get where we ended up, but I really don't know the specifics. @spalger was pretty involved though, he can probably provide some advice.

Haven't tried MapProxy, but the Elastic Tile Service actually generates the tiles it serves, rather than proxying tiles from some other location.

We looked at GeoServer, and didn't find that it offered the features we were looking for, but it did let us setup a simple tile service quickly and didn't require learning how to manage a full software stack. Now we're using Kartotherian, which is much more robust.

Is there a specific reason why you are exploring replacing the default tile service?

Thanks,

I guess why I was asking , besides it being catapulted into the spotlight in July. I was doing some research on it.

I work for a big ecommerce/brick company so if there were other features in a Map server, that was compatible my company might be interested in it for other business needs

Also where possible I don't like to depend on outside services, they sometimes break or the needed connectivity fails and I hate telling my management I have no control over the issue. This way if they have access to the site, it should always be working

Just being Bandwidth conscious , the company can be a little miserly on allocating Internet circuits. Almost like they treat us like a brick and mortar store. So when I expect whole departments to be using it, I just want to make sure I think about what it would take when Networking comes and says its pulling to many "images"/bandwidth

Finally, just like reading on things I have not dealt with before. I figured it would be a good starting point to see what you did when the Tiling service broke, easier then trial and error

Cool, I guess I was fishing to find out if you were experiencing poor performance or something.

Also where possible I don't like to depend on outside services

We understand this all too well.

if there were other features in a Map server, that was compatible my company might be interested in it for other business needs

Make sure that you checkout the terms of service

Let us know how it goes!