Loadbalancer infromt of client nodes

(Aditya Sharma) #1

Hi am running a 7 node architecture with 3 master nodes, 2 co-ordinate only (earlier known as client) and 2 data nodes.

I ab API to interact with my elastic cluster to provide data.

My question is, do I need to put a load balancer between the two client nodes. Because I read somewhere that the client nodes act as "smart load balancers" in the cluster themselves.

How do i ensure that the queries would be equally distributed over both my clients.
While establishing the connection in the API, we have to pass in the node.name as well and I am setting it as the name of the first client node. And when i put the name of the domain instead, of the ip of the client node, then it gives me a node not found exception.

If I do have to use a loadbalancer, which load balancer should I be using HTTP or TCP?

(David Pilato) #2

What is the jdbc driver you are using?

(Aditya Sharma) #3

@dadoonet I've updated the question I was wrong to put in the JDBC

(David Pilato) #4

What is the client you are using?

(Paw Suddergaard) #5

I am wondering the same question.
Setup:
12 Data nodes.
3 Master nodes.
3 Coordinating nodes.
ES version 5.6.2.

I am providing the client with a list of dns names of the coordinating nodes.
However it seems like there is no real balance between the nodes - if i put high load on one coordinating node - by doing a big agg. other requests (which should then use the other nodes) is getting errors.

I am considering to change the order of node names for each client connected.

(Aditya Sharma) #6

@dadoonet The client means the "coordinate only nodes". They used to be called client nodes before. If you mean how am I trying to interact with the client nodes, then I have a java API application that uses spring tcp connection to establish a connection to my cluster.

(David Pilato) #7

So Client nodes are part of the cluster. They know exactly where the shards are located on the cluster.

do I need to put a load balancer between the two client nodes.

No.

Just give the list of the 2 client nodes to your client (the Java one you mentioned).

(Aditya Sharma) #8

@dadoonet

I don't have a place for two client names below is the java code:

client = TransportClient.builder().settings(Settings.builder().put("cluster.name", "ates").put("node.name","ates-client-01")).build();

where I put in the client name and there is no way I can put in multiple node names.

When you say, list the 2 client nodes in java, where exactly do you mean?

(David Pilato) #9

That's a wrong usage of the transport client.

Look at the doc: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/java-api/current/transport-client.html

TransportClient client = new PreBuiltTransportClient(Settings.EMPTY)
        .addTransportAddress(new InetSocketTransportAddress(InetAddress.getByName("host1"), 9300))
        .addTransportAddress(new InetSocketTransportAddress(InetAddress.getByName("host2"), 9300));

That's all what you need here.

May be add client.transport.ignore_cluster_name in the settings or the cluster name if you wish but that's all.

(Aditya Sharma) #10

@dadoonet great I'll try it and get back. Thanks for the help. The getting back will take a while as it's midnight here. but I'll try it first thing in the morning

(system) #11

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.