Location [****] doesn't match any of the locations specified by path.repo because this setting is empty

(marc) #1

Hello there,

I'm trying to make backups of nodes in my elasticsearch. I've folowed https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/modules-snapshots.html

However, i'm not able to make it works, it seems to be a problem with repo.path that is not defined, as the topic shows.

in my /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml i added:
path.repo:/var/backups

/var/backups is a mount shared folder on another server.

So, when i try to start elasticsearch with this new config, it doesn't start.
if i get the status of the service i says:

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since jue 2016-01-07 09:31:06 CET; 3s ago
Docs: http://www.elastic.co
Process: 14056 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -Des.pidfile=${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid -Des.default.path.home=${ES_HOME} -Des.default.path.logs=${LOG_DIR} -Des.default.path.data=${DATA_DIR} -Des.default.path.conf=${CONF_DIR} (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 14054 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd-pre-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 14056 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I don't know how to define path.repo

Any procedure on how to get it working?

My environment is a debian jessie, and elasticsearch 2.0

Thank you

(Mark Walkom) #2

That doesn't look like an ES log, can you check /var/log/elasticsearch/.

(marc) #3

Yes, that's the /etc/init.d/elasticsearch status output

if i check the log, actually is the same:

1. Error injecting constructor, RepositoryException[[logs] location [****] doesn't match any of the locations specified by path.repo because this setting is empty]
    at org.elasticsearch.repositories.fs.FsRepository.(Unknown Source)
    while locating org.elasticsearch.repositories.fs.FsRepository
    while locating org.elasticsearch.repositories.Repository

1 error
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.internal.Errors.throwCreationExceptionIfErrorsExist(Errors.java:344)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder.injectDynamically(InjectorBuilder.java:178)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder.build(InjectorBuilder.java:110)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorImpl.createChildInjector(InjectorImpl.java:137)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.ModulesBuilder.createChildInjector(ModulesBuilder.java:56)
at org.elasticsearch.repositories.RepositoriesService.createRepositoryHolder(RepositoriesService.java:404)
at org.elasticsearch.repositories.RepositoriesService.registerRepository(RepositoriesService.java:368)
at org.elasticsearch.repositories.RepositoriesService.access$100(RepositoriesService.java:55)
at org.elasticsearch.repositories.RepositoriesService$1.execute(RepositoriesService.java:110)
at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.InternalClusterService$UpdateTask.run(InternalClusterService.java:388)
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:225)
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:188)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: RepositoryException[[logs] location [****] doesn't match any of the locations specified by path.repo because this setting is empty]
at org.elasticsearch.repositories.fs.FsRepository.(FsRepository.java:85)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.DefaultConstructionProxyFactory$1.newInstance(DefaultConstructionProxyFactory.java:56)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.ConstructorInjector.construct(ConstructorInjector.java:86)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.ConstructorBindingImpl$Factory.get(ConstructorBindingImpl.java:104)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.FactoryProxy.get(FactoryProxy.java:54)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter$1.call(ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.java:47)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorImpl.callInContext(InjectorImpl.java:865)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.get(ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.java:43)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.Scopes$1$1.get(Scopes.java:59)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.get(InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.java:46)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder$1.call(InjectorBuilder.java:201)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder$1.call(InjectorBuilder.java:193)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorImpl.callInContext(InjectorImpl.java:858)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder.loadEagerSingletons(InjectorBuilder.java:193)
at org.elasticsearch.common.inject.InjectorBuilder.injectDynamically(InjectorBuilder.java:175)

(Mark Walkom) #4

What does your elasticsearch.yml look like? (Make sure you format it if you post it)

(marc) #5
# ----------------------------------- Paths ------------------------------------
# Path to directory where to store the data (separate multiple locations by comma):
# path.data: /path/to/data
# Path to log files:
# path.logs: /path/to/logs
path.repo:/var/backups

Is it enough for you?

(David Pilato) #6

Add a space:

path.repo: /var/backups

(marc) #7

doesn't work either.

The path.repo is where i want to put the snapshot?

(David Pilato) #8

So it does not start at all?

I mean: is elasticsearch running?
If not, could you upload on gist.github.com the full logs and the full elasticsearch.yml?

(marc) #9

It does not start at all.

I copied information you asked about.

Thanks

(David Pilato) #10

Elasticsearch started:

[2016-01-07 10:15:04,857][INFO ][node                     ] [Utilizado para logs de servidores] started

But you have an issue with your shared folder.

It's really clear that it's an access exception:

Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /var/backups

Are you using NFS? Can you check the attributes of /var/backups?

(marc) #11

I mount this folder with fstab file and cifs

I have permisions to read and write, but i'm not usre if elasticsearch has permisions. I cannot change permisions on ES server because is a shared folder from a windows server.

What's the best way to use nfs to make snapshots on ES?

(David Pilato) #12

Your elasticsearch user which runs elasticsearch needs to be able to read and write to this data dir.

Can you try it from the ES Server?

(marc) #13

Hi dadoonet,

I created another nfs folder, with full permisions, like this elasticsearch user is able to write.
The problem i got has desappeared, but now i get this one, when i try to create the container:

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"exception","reason":"failed to create blob container"}],"type":"exception","reason":"failed to create blob container","caused_by":{"type":"access_denied_exception","reason":"/var/snapshots/tests-lsQAs_eIQWahVAqhdrQHGw"}},"status":500}

It looks like a permission error, however i think it has rights.

Any ideas?

(David Pilato) #14

I wonder if it's the same issue as https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/14298

IIRC there might be some concerns using NFS with Snapshot and Restore but may be @Igor_Motov could tell more?

(marc) #15

Hi there,

Thanks dadoonet and all others for your support.
Finally i fixed it.

I created a new shared folder, i give full permision to elasticsearch user, i mounted the folder in my ES cluster with this statement:

mount -t cifs -o dir_mode=0764,uid=,gid=,username=,password= //IP/sharedfolder /folder/to/mount

Note that i left empty the fields, but it must be fullfill.

Thanks

(system) #16