Log4j security vulnerability and plugins which bundle / vendor dependencies

(this post has been moved from Zero-day-exploit in log4j2 which is part of elasticsearch - #25 by Kami)

Dear logstash community,

I would like to better understand on how log4j vulnerability affects logstash plugins which bundle / vendor their dependencies.

When auditing a logstash installation, I noticed multiple log4j jars bundled with various plugins:

find /opt/logstash/ -name "log4j*.jar"
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-http-3.4.2-java/vendor/jar-dependencies/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-api/2.11.1/log4j-api-2.11.1.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-beats-6.2.1-java/vendor/jar-dependencies/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-api/2.11.1/log4j-api-2.11.1.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-azure_event_hubs-1.4.0/vendor/jar-dependencies/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-slf4j-impl/2.9.1/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.9.1.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-azure_event_hubs-1.4.0/vendor/jar-dependencies/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-api/2.9.1/log4j-api-2.9.1.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-output-test-0.2.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-core-5.6.4-java/lib/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-slf4j-impl/2.6.2/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.6.2.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-output-test-0.2.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-core-5.6.4-java/lib/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-api/2.6.2/log4j-api-2.6.2.jar
/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-output-test-0.2.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-core-5.6.4-java/lib/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-core/2.6.2/log4j-core-2.6.2.jar
/opt/logstash/logstash-core/lib/jars/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.14.0.jar
/opt/logstash/logstash-core/lib/jars/log4j-api-2.14.0.jar
/opt/logstash/logstash-core/lib/jars/log4j-core-2.14.0.jar
/opt/logstash/logstash-core/lib/jars/log4j-1.2-api-2.14.0.jar
/opt/logstash/logstash-core/lib/jars/log4j-jcl-2.14.0.jar

After digging in further, I noticed that some logstash plugins bundle / vendor all of their dependencies in the RubyGem they publish (I assume that's done to make installations in airgap environments easier and / or similar).

After checking the gem metadata it shows that logstash plugin depends on logstash-core-plugin-api which depends on logstash-core which depends on log4j (so logstash-core is a transitive dependency of the plugin).

It appears that a lot of plugins transitively depend on older version of logstash-core which still requires log4j (logstash-core | RubyGems.org | your community gem host).

Newer versions of logstash-core don't seem to depend on it anymore (logstash-core | RubyGems.org | your community gem host - i assume they use log4j bundled in the logstash core, but dunno).

I would like to better understand if this is an indeed an issue and how to handle that in the problematic plugins - can we bump minimum version of logstash-plugin-core (and as such, logstash-core) or will this cause issues with logstash version compatibility? Or simply the best solution is not to bundle / vendor dependencies with the gem?

Thanks.

3 Likes

We used GitHub - mergebase/log4j-detector: Detects log4j versions on your file-system, including deeply recursively nested copies (zips inside zips inside zips). to scan logstash and found:

/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.5.0/gems/logstash-input-tcp-6.0.3-java/vendor/jar-dependencies/org/logstash/inputs/logstash-input-tcp/6.0.3/logstash-input-tcp-6.0.3.jar contains Log4J-2.x >= 2.0-beta9 (< 2.10.0) _VULNERABLE_ :-(

I'm not sure how this is used by logstash, but I removed the JndiLookup.class from that JAR for now. Maybe someone can clearify that.

1 Like

Typical logstash distributions (rpm, deb, docker ..) come with
logstash-input-azure_event_hubs, logstash-input-beats and logstash-input-http plugins, which all have dependency to log4j-api, but not log4j-core. As per current knowledge, log4j-api is not vulnerable.

This is addressed in the ESA-2021-31 security announcement.

More details:

• Most plugins rely on log4j-api, which allows the plugins to use log4j provided by the application without providing their own. The log4j-api is not vulnerable to the CVE.
  • 7.16.1 and 6.8.21 provide log4j-core 2.15, and also both still include an old, unreachable log4j-core in one of their bundled plugins (TCP input).
  • The jar is unreachable (and therefore not exploitable) because of how plugins are loaded in Logstash, but removing its JNDI lookup class is a safe mechanism to add peace of mind
  • updated versions of the TCP Input have been released to rely only on log4j-api and will be included in any subsequent patch releases.
1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

This addresses all the concerns I had.

My main concern was with "The jar is unreachable (and therefore not exploitable) because of how plugins are loaded in Logstash, but removing its JNDI lookup class is a safe mechanism to add peace of mind".

I didn't dig through the plugin loading code so I wasn't sure if that bundled jar was actually being used or not, but now you clarified it's not being used.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.