Logstash 1.5 rest plugin exception with rest-client and netrc

Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a Logstash filter plugin which uses rest-client to communicate with a REST service. The plugin works fine on my development machine. However, as soon as I put it on a fresh logstash installation it throws the following exception when logstash receives an event:

Exception in filterworker {"exception"=>#<SystemCallError: Unknown error - Unknown Error (0) - /home/xxx/.netrc>, "backtrace"=>[
	"org/jruby/RubyFile.java:865:in `stat'", "/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/netrc-0.10.3/lib/netrc.rb:43:in `check_permissions'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/netrc-0.10.3/lib/netrc.rb:52:in `read'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/rest-client-1.8.0/lib/restclient/request.rb:284:in `parse_url_with_auth'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/rest-client-1.8.0/lib/restclient/request.rb:175:in `execute'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/rest-client-1.8.0/lib/restclient/request.rb:41:in `execute'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/rest-client-1.8.0/lib/restclient/resource.rb:54:in `get'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-rest-0.1.0/lib/logstash/filters/rest.rb:50:in `filter'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.0-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:162:in `multi_filter'", 
	"org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in `each'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.0-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:159:in `multi_filter'", "(eval):41:in `filter_func'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:219:in `filterworker'", 
	"/opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-1.5.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:156:in `start_filters'"
], :level=>:error}

(Logstash 1.5, JRuby 1.7.19 (1.9.3p551), Java 1.8.0_45)

I wonder why it works on the dev machine and not on a new one which has the same versions of OS, Logstash and Java. Could this exception be caused by some missing development tools like bundler, gem etc.?

I found a similar issue with the logstash-output-slack plugin. Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks in advance
hurb