Logstash 2.4 install not working

Hi,
Just install Logstash on mac following [install instruction] (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/installing-logstash.html#installing-binary).

First example works fine (bin/logstash -e 'input { stdin { } } output { stdout {} }')
[second one] (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/advanced-pipeline.html#advanced-pipeline) fails with the following error
Pipeline aborted due to error {:exception=>"ArgumentError", :backtrace=>["/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-file-2.2.5/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:187:in register'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-file-2.2.5/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:185:in register'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:330:instart_inputs'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in each'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:329:instart_inputs'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:180:in start_workers'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:136:inrun'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/agent.rb:491:in `start_pipeline'"], :level=>:error}

Any idea why is not working as instructed ???

Can you show us the entire command you are calling, along with the shell and error?

By reading the stacktrace I'd say the problem is that the file path you've given in the file input is relative and not absolute.

The error message is horrible and a regression from Logstash 2.3. I've filed an issue to get this addressed.

Logstash works fine with the following config in the inital-pipeline.conf file.
input {
generator {
lines => [
"line 1",
"line 2"
]
count => 3
}
}
output { stdout { } }

With the following command:
~/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0 $ bin/logstash -f initial-pipeline.conf

It gives the following results:
Settings: Default pipeline workers: 4
Pipeline main started
2016-09-26T18:18:34.420Z Denis-iMac27.local line 1
2016-09-26T18:18:34.431Z Denis-iMac27.local line 2
2016-09-26T18:18:34.431Z Denis-iMac27.local line 1
2016-09-26T18:18:34.432Z Denis-iMac27.local line 2
2016-09-26T18:18:34.432Z Denis-iMac27.local line 1
2016-09-26T18:18:34.433Z Denis-iMac27.local line 2
Pipeline main has been shutdown
stopping pipeline {:id=>"main"}

Trying the following config in first-pipeline.conf file
input {
file {
path => "NOTICES.TXT"
start_position => beginning
ignore_older => 0
}
}
output { stdout { } }

With the following command:
~/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0 $ bin/logstash -f first-pipeline.conf

It fails with the following shell errors:
Pipeline aborted due to error {:exception=>"ArgumentError", :backtrace=>["/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-file-2.2.5/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:187:in register'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:ineach'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-file-2.2.5/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:185:in register'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:330:instart_inputs'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in each'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:329:instart_inputs'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:180:in start_workers'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:136:inrun'", "/Users/Denis/Documents/elk/logstash-2.4.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/agent.rb:491:in `start_pipeline'"], :level=>:error}
stopping pipeline {:id=>"main"}.

Logstash also fails with all other config filters, inputs and output I've tried so far !!!

path => "NOTICES.TXT"

As I said, this path must not be relative.

Unbelievable !!! But you're right, everything works fine when using absolute path...
I cannot even begin to understand the poor quality of error message for such trivial error.

I'm just starting experiencing logstash and I've got some dozens of xml file to map into elastic. My hope was to use logstash and not a developing xml transformation myself to generate json files for import into elastic.

Is this kind of logstash error message a bug in 2.4 ... or should I expect any errors to be reported in such cryptic fashion ?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Is this kind of logstash error message a bug in 2.4 ... or should I expect any errors to be reported in such cryptic fashion ?

As I said, this is a bug that was introduced in Logstash 2.4.

Hi there!
It seems like I have a very similar problem. However, I have an absolute path and still get the same error.
I copy my conf file and the error:
input {
file {
path => "/Users/agarciah/Disco_D/Consultoria/Lineas/lineas.csv"
type => "lineas"
start_position => "beginning"
}
}

running: $ bin/logstash -f /users/agarciah/Downloads/logstashLineas.conf

gives:

Pipeline aborted due to error {:exception=>"ArgumentError", :backtrace=>["/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-input-file-2.2.5/lib/logstash/inputs/file.rb:221:in register'", "/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:330:instart_inputs'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in each'", "/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:329:instart_inputs'", "/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:180:in start_workers'", "/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:136:inrun'", "/usr/local/Cellar/logstash/2.4.0/libexec/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/agent.rb:491:in `start_pipeline'"], :level=>:error}
stopping pipeline {:id=>"main"}

Mac OSX - logstash 2.4 - elasticsearch 2.3.4

Thanks!

Logstash seems to be complaining about your sincedb_path setting:

Thanks for your support. I changed the sincedb_path:
input {
file {
path => "/Users/agarciah/Disco_D/Consultoria/Lineas/lineas.csv"
type => "lineas"
start_position => "beginning"
sincedb_path => "/Users/agarciah/Disco_D/Consultoria/Lineas/sincedb.txt"
}
}
I can see sincedb.txt after running logstash but the same error message appears.