Logstash, An exceptionCaught() event was fired, and it reached at the tail of the pipeline. It usually means the last handler in the pipeline did not handle the exception

Hello,
I am trying set up ELK stack on my server.

I installed ELK on my server. now I am trying to connect Filebeat with Logstash.

However I am having trouble with Logstash.

On my logstash log,
[WARN ] 2019-05-10 16:59:52.930 [nioEventLoopGroup-5-4] DefaultChannelPipeline - An exceptionCaught() event was fired, and it reached at the tail of the pipeline. It usually means the last handler in the pipeline did not handle the exception.
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser$InvalidFrameProtocolException: Invalid Frame Type, received: 84
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:472) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInputClosed(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:405) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInputClosed(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:372) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInactive(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:355) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:245) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$300(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:38) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$4.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:236) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:66) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:897) [netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30) [netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_91]
Caused by: org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser$InvalidFrameProtocolException: Invalid Frame Type, received: 84
at org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser.decode(BeatsParser.java:92) ~[logstash-input-beats-6.0.0.jar:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:502) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:441) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
... 10 more

On my filebeat log,

2019-05-10T17:03:33.781+0900 ERROR pipeline/output.go:100 Failed to connect to backoff(elasticsearch(http://localhost:5044)): Get http://localhost:5044: read tcp [::1]:39404->[::1]:5044: read: connection reset by peer

I can not find where this error comes from.

my settings are blow

logstash.conf
input {
beats {
port => "5044"
}
}
filter {
grok {
match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}
}
geoip {
source => "clientip"
}
}
output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]
}
}

filebeat.yml
#----------------------------- Logstash output --------------------------------
#output.logstash:

The Logstash hosts

hosts: ["localhost:5044"]

thanks in advance

Invalid Frame Type means there is a protocol mismatch. Sometimes this is because one end expects to use SSL but the other does not. In your case I think it is because you have configured an elasticsearch output in filebeat.yml (so it uses HTTP) but pointed it to logstash (which expects the beats protocol).

1 Like

Hi.

I noticed similar warning on my logstash instance and decided I could post in here instead of opening new topic. I am using ELK 7.0.1:

[2019-05-13T08:35:59,723][WARN ][io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline] An exceptionCaught() event was fired, and it reached at the tail of the pipeline. It usually means the last handler in the pipeline did not handle the exception.
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser$InvalidFrameProtocolException: Invalid Frame Type, received: -3
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:472) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInputClosed(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:405) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInputClosed(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:372) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelInactive(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:355) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelInactive(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:245) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$300(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:38) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$4.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:236) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:66) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:897) [netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30) [netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_212]
Caused by: org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser$InvalidFrameProtocolException: Invalid Frame Type, received: -3
	at org.logstash.beats.BeatsParser.decode(BeatsParser.java:92) ~[logstash-input-beats-6.0.0.jar:?]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:502) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:441) ~[netty-all-4.1.30.Final.jar:4.1.30.Final]
	... 10 more

My logstash pipeline configuration is:

input {
    beats {
        port => 5044
    }
}

output {
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => "elasticsearch.mydomain:9200"
        user => "logstash_internal"
        password => "mysecret"
        index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
        manage_template => true
    }
}

and my filebeat configuration is:

queue.mem:
  events: 2048
  flush.min_events: 512
  flush.timeout: 5s

filebeat.config:
  modules:
    path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml
    reload.enabled: false

filebeat.autodiscover:
# Autodiscover docker containers and parse logs
  providers:
    - type: docker
      templates:
        config:
            containers.ids:
              - "${data.docker.container.id}"
            exclude_lines: ["^\\s+[\\-`('.|_]",]  # drop asciiart lines

filebeat.inputs:
    containers.ids:
      - "*"
    processors:
      - add_docker_metadata: ~
    fields:
      microservice: true
      environment: '${FILEBEAT_ENV}'
    multiline:
      pattern: '\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\.\d{3}.*'
      negate: true
      match: after
    fields_under_root: true
    exclude_lines: ['\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\.\d{3}\s+INFO.*metrics.*']

output.logstash:
  hosts: '${LOGSTASH_HOST}'

logging.level: error
logging.to_files: true
logging.files:
  path: /var/lib/docker/containers/
  name: filebeat
  keepfiles: 7
  permissions: 0644

I can see logs in Kibana, however I was just wondering, if this warning is serious or I can ignore it? I do not want to be losing some information in Kibana in the long run.

Best regards.

Hard to say. You need to review the data in Kibana and see if it appears to match the data you expect filebeat to be ingesting.

Something is connecting to logstash that is not sending valid lumberjack messages. If your logstash is exposed to the internet then other folks will be talking to it, guaranteed. If you are on a corporate intranet then you may well have internal security folks running port scanners to see which machines are running which services. That could also cause this error. Or it could be a misconfigured filebeat on one of your servers that is dropping all of its data. Only you can tell.

It really helped me.
In my filebeat.yml setting, I disabled output.logstash and enabled output.elasticsearch.
I handled it by enabling output.logstash and disabling output.elasticsearch.
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.