Logstash crashes when receiving a bad message

Hello Fellow Logstashians,

I am working on exporting Dynatrace data to SPLUNK via logstash. I am using the Dynatrace Real Time Business Transaction Feed and 2 instances of logstash with a redis queue in between. Every night, between 1am and 3am, the Logstash instance that receives the initial message from Dynatrace is being sent a message that causes it to crash with the following error.

2016-12-04 01:51:05 -0500: HTTP parse error, malformed request (): #<Puma::HttpParserError: Invalid HTTP format, parsing fails.>
2016-12-04 01:51:05 -0500: ENV: {"rack.version"=>[1, 3], "rack.errors"=>#<IO:fd 2>, "rack.multithread"=>true, "rack.multiprocess"=>false, "rack.run_once"=>false, "SCRIPT_NAME"=>"", "QUERY_STRING"=>"", "SERVER_PROTOCOL"=>"HTTP/1.1", "SERVER_SOFTWARE"=>"2.16.0", "GATEWAY_INTERFACE"=>"CGI/1.2", "REQUEST_METHOD"=>"GET"}

LogStash::ConfigurationError: Only String and Array types are splittable. field:businessTransactions is of type = NilClass
filter at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-filter-split-2.0.5/lib/logstash/filters/split.rb:49
multi_filter at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:151
each at org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613
multi_filter at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:148
initialize at (eval):902
initialize at (eval):898
call at org/jruby/RubyProc.java:281
filter_func at (eval):401
filter_batch at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:267
inject at org/jruby/RubyEnumerable.java:852
filter_batch at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:265
worker_loop at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:223
start_workers at /opt/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-core-2.4.0-java/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:201

I have seen many different posts about similar issue and most of them end with a fix being applied to an earlier version of Logstash. I am running 2.4.

Also, this same setup runs for many many hours before receiving this death message.

You haven't showed us your configuration but it seems you should wrap your split filter in a

if [businessTransactions] { ... }

conditional.

Sorry, here is the piece of my configuration that is throwing the error. I believe it already has what you are suggesting:

if !("splitted_bts" in [tags] and [businessTransactions]) {
json {
source => "message"
}
split {
field => "businessTransactions"
add_tag => ["splitted_bts"]
}
}

No, you have a negation in your conditional. The json and split filters will process the event if there's no splitted_bts tag or businessTransactions is not set.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.