Logstash docker container is trying to connect to elasticsearch

I'm trying to get the logstash docker container up and running.

So, when I run

docker run docker.elastic.co/logstash/logstash:5.2.2

it tries to connect to elasticsearch out of the box even when my pipeline (layered on top of the official image) only specifies stdout as the ONLY output. This is a bit unexpected from my point of view. I might want to run it with some other output (e.g. just talking to a queue). I'd certainly not want it to attempt to connect to anything out of the box.

This seems to be related to some pre-configured metrics plugin that may or may not be useful. However, I'd prefer the docker container to have a virgin setup that does not need anything else running (unless I tell it to). Is this intentional?

It looks like this is because of the x-pack plugin installation that the Dockerfile does. Documentation for this seems to be missing here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/5.2/docker.html?

I tried the deprecated docker hub image as well, which doesn't work at all because of some missing log4j configuration I also tried the tar ball, which behaves as I expect it to (i.e. doing nothing else than what is in my pipeline).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.