Logstash within docker container trying to connect to elasticsearch

There was a similar post on this, but the replies have been deleted:

When I run a elasticsearch 5.3.1 from a docker container it tries to connect to elasticsearch even though my pipeline only has a udp port as the output. My Dockerfile has:

RUN rm -f /usr/share/logstash/pipeline/*

as the command right after FROM (specifying 5.3.1)

I think that would get rid of all pipeline config files.

I then

ADD my_pipeline/ /usr/share/logstash/pipeline/

I can see my pipeline being executed correctly, but logstash is also stuck trying to connect to elasticsearch, which I don't need. How can this behavior be changed?
Thank you.

If you increase Logstash's log level it should give you more clues about what configuration it loads and where that configuration comes from.

So the theory is that xpack is somehow bundled with the docker logstash image. I don't know much about xpack, but 1: is that true?
2: why would that not be documented?
3: how does bundling xpack cause an assumption that logstash should be connecting to an elasticsearch service?

Thank you.

Poking around in https://github.com/elastic/logstash-docker it looks like it by default configures X-Pack monitoring to Elasticsearch (via logstash.yml) but the pipeline only contains a stdout output.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.