Logstash filling up my space inside/var/log/messages file

Hello all,

I been tying to find a solution for this since long. Trying to reach out to the community.

The logstash is filling up the file /var/log/messages file space,
I understand logstash does not log to /var/log/message, it writes to stdout and it logs to /var/log/logstash.

I am running logstash as a service and I think it may be because the service manager is configured to cc the stdout of a service to /var/log/messages which then the service manager will write to /var/log/messages. I don't think Ican reconfigure service manager. I edited the log4j.proprties file of logstah where I commented out the following lines and restarted logstash service and the system , still the logstash is logging everysecond the logs to /var/log/messages

<
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = ${sys:ls.log.format}_console
logger.slowlog.appenderRef.console_slowlog.ref = ${sys:ls.log.format}_console_slowlog
/>

I also tried to create a new empty file with name /var/log/messages and renamed the old file as messagesold. That did not help as well. The messages are still getting logged to /var/log/messagesold.

Is there any way I could delete these file or rotate it to delete the first 10 gig of data inside /var/log/message file when it reaches 50 Gig.

I am afraid if I delete the file itself I don't see any more data in my elastic search or kibana.
Also, will need to manually delete everytime the file becomes more than 50gig.
Regards,
Zanoob

just deleted the file and restarted the system , all works fine.
Added a logrotate entry inside logrotate.conf

/var/log/messages { rotate 3 size 1G postrotate /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd endscript }

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.