Logstash GELF input Json ParserError

Hi!
I'm experiencing an issue with the Logstash GELF input related to JSON parsing. It seems that there's some messages from Graylog that causes these errors:

[2021-10-20T05:21:59,443][ERROR][logstash.inputs.gelf     ][ppt_graylog_ingest][gelf-windows-udp] JSON parse failure. Falling back to plain-text {:error=>#<LogStash::Json::ParserError: Unrecognized token 'Exception': was expecting ('true', 'false' or 'null')
 at [Source: (byte[])"Exception: Failed to decode data: invalid compressed data -- crc error"; line: 1, column: 11]>, :data=>"\"Exception: Failed to decode data: invalid compressed data -- crc error\""}

[2021-10-20T05:54:36,944][ERROR][logstash.inputs.gelf     ][ppt_graylog_ingest][gelf-windows-udp] JSON parse failure. Falling back to plain-text {:error=>#<LogStash::Json::ParserError: Unrecognized token 'Exception': was expecting ('true', 'false' or 'null')
 at [Source: (byte[])"Exception: Failed to decode data: Unexpected end of ZLIB input stream"; line: 1, column: 11]>, :data=>"\"Exception: Failed to decode data: Unexpected end of ZLIB input stream\""}

However, I don't see why there's a Json ParserError in this case, as the plugin configuration doesn't try to cast the input to json:

input {
    gelf {
            id => "gelf-windows-udp"
            use_tcp => false
            use_udp => true
            port_udp => 12205
            remap => true
    }
}

Setup:

• ELK Stack v 7.14.0
  • Logstash v 7.14.0
  • Logstash-input-gelf v 3.3.0

Do you have any thoughts on why this happens?

GELF is JSON. If it is not valid JSON then it is not valid GELF.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, but as this message comes from Graylog, I would assume that it was already JSON.

However, I suspect that this issue might be related to the UDP buffer queue being filled up, I've increased the max size of that, and I'll observe whether that fixes the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.