Logstash new codec plugin fails while using

While developing a new logstash codec plugin, the plugin gets installed successfully. But error occurs while using it.

Steps to replicate:

1. Install logstash 7.6 or pull the code from git and cd to the folder where logstash is:
    In my case:
    cd /usr/share/logstash

2. Generate a new codec plugin using the default plugin generator:
    bin/logstash-plugin generate --type codec --name xyz --path /home/centos/

3. Go to plugin
    cd /home/centos/logstash-codec-xyz

4. Change the gemspec and remove TODO's and build plugin using
    gem build logstash-codec-xyz.gemspec

5. Go to logstash folder and install the plugin
    bin/logstash-plugin install /home/centos/logstash-codec-xyz/ logstash-codec-xyz-x.y.z.gem

6. Using the plugin
    bin/logstash -e 'input { stdin{ codec => xyz{}} } output {stdout { codec => rubydebug }}'

Following is the error trace:

Thread.exclusive is deprecated, use Thread::Mutex
WARNING: Could not find logstash.yml which is typically located in $LS_HOME/config or /etc/logstash. You can specify the path using --path.settings. Continuing using the defaults
Could not find log4j2 configuration at path /usr/share/logstash/config/log4j2.properties. Using default config which logs errors to the console
[WARN ] 2020-03-02 00:15:38.879 [LogStash::Runner] multilocal - Ignoring the 'pipelines.yml' file because modules or command line options are specified
[INFO ] 2020-03-02 00:15:38.900 [LogStash::Runner] runner - Starting Logstash {"logstash.version"=>"7.5.2"}
[INFO ] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.203 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] Reflections - Reflections took 63 ms to scan 1 urls, producing 20 keys and 40 values
[INFO ] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.458 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] xyz - Using version 0.1.x codec plugin 'xyz'. This plugin isn't well supported by the community and likely has no maintainer.
[ERROR] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.553 [Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>] agent - Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException", :message=>"Unable to configure plugins: (NameError) uninitialized constant LogStash::Codecs::Line", :backtrace=>["org.logstash.config.ir.CompiledPipeline.<init>(CompiledPipeline.java:119)", "org.logstash.execution.JavaBasePipelineExt.initialize(JavaBasePipelineExt.java:60)", "org.logstash.execution.JavaBasePipelineExt$INVOKER$i$1$0$initialize.call(JavaBasePipelineExt$INVOKER$i$1$0$initialize.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodN.call(JavaMethod.java:837)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuper(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1156)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuperSplatArgs(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1143)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InstanceSuperInvokeSite.invoke(InstanceSuperInvokeSite.java:39)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.java_pipeline.RUBY$method$initialize$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:27)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.CompiledIRMethod.call(CompiledIRMethod.java:91)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:90)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.cacheAndCall(CachingCallSite.java:332)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:86)", "org.jruby.RubyClass.newInstance(RubyClass.java:915)", "org.jruby.RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.call(RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.gen)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InvokeSite.invoke(InvokeSite.java:183)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.pipeline_action.create.RUBY$method$execute$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:36)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.pipeline_action.create.RUBY$method$execute$0$__VARARGS__(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.CompiledIRMethod.call(CompiledIRMethod.java:91)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:90)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InvokeSite.invoke(InvokeSite.java:183)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.agent.RUBY$block$converge_state$2(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:326)", "org.jruby.runtime.CompiledIRBlockBody.callDirect(CompiledIRBlockBody.java:136)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:77)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.call(Block.java:129)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:295)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:274)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:270)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.RubyRunnable.run(RubyRunnable.java:105)", "java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)"]}
warning: thread "Converge PipelineAction::Create<main>" terminated with exception (report_on_exception is true):
LogStash::Error: Don't know how to handle `Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException` for `PipelineAction::Create<main>`
          create at org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:109
             add at org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:37
  converge_state at /usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:339
[ERROR] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.569 [Agent thread] agent - An exception happened when converging configuration {:exception=>LogStash::Error, :message=>"Don't know how to handle `Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException` for `PipelineAction::Create<main>`", :backtrace=>["org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:109:in `create'", "org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:37:in `add'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:339:in `block in converge_state'"]}
[FATAL] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.663 [LogStash::Runner] runner - An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<LogStash::Error: Don't know how to handle `Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException` for `PipelineAction::Create<main>`>, :backtrace=>["org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:109:in `create'", "org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:37:in `add'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:339:in `block in converge_state'"]}
[ERROR] 2020-03-02 00:15:42.849 [LogStash::Runner] Logstash - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit

Any help would be great! thanks.

I think I have figured out the error:
Initially, I started looking into java error but the error is not in java, i.e, it is not Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException. The actual error is in ruby with the message :message=>"Unable to configure plugins: (NameError) uninitialized constant LogStash::Codecs::Line". The error is not because of uninitialization, but because of a line missing in the main file, xyz.rb. I figured it out by comparing the code with the code in the documentation.

It can be fixed by adding require "logstash/codecs/line" at the top of the file. This works fine after building and installing the gem.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.