Logstash/rsyslog/json

Hi All,

I was trying to setup rsyslog in elasticstack ,so I was trying to follow this article,

my logstash conf looks exactly similar to the article.

My logstash conf
input {
udp {
host => "private ip"
port => 5140
codec => "json"
workers => "16"
queue_size => "100000"
buffer_size => "100000"
type => "rsyslog"
}
}

This is an empty filter block. You can later add other filters here to further process

your log lines

filter { }

This output block will send all events of type "rsyslog" to Elasticsearch at the configured

host and port into daily indices of the pattern, "rsyslog-YYYY.MM.DD"

output {
if [type] == "rsyslog" {
stdout { codec => rubydebug }

elasticsearch {

hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]

index => "logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"

}

}
}

after setting it up , I tried to run the logstash

bin/logstash -f /etc/logstash/conf.d/ --debug

I get this message

10:31:34.264 [Ruby-0-Thread-38: /usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:532] DEBUG logstash.pipeline - Pushing flush onto pipeline

I tried both stdout rubydebug output and elasticsearch output , still the same

I couldnt figure it out where the problem lies .Please help me to figure out this problem.

Thanks,
Raj

How do you know that any messages from remote servers are even reaching Logstash? You can use nc/netcat in listen mode to snoop the traffic (with Logstash shut down).

Thanks for the reply, I use tshark to confirm if i get the data

tshark -f 'port 5140'
tshark: Lua: Error during loading:
[string "/usr/share/wireshark/init.lua"]:46: dofile has been disabled due to running Wireshark as superuser. See http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges for help in running Wireshark as an unprivileged user.
Running as user "root" and group "root". This could be dangerous.
Capturing on 'eth0'
1 0.000000 -> TCP 78 57595→5140 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=32768 Len=0 MSS=1460 WS=8 SACK_PERM=1 TSval=1 TSecr=0
2 0.000023 -> TCP 54 5140→57595 [RST, ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=0 Len=0

So a TCP connection attempt (which is rejected) but you're only listening to UDP datagrams.

Yes Magnus, it seems to be only udp

Now Iam receiving docs in the Kibana but it looks this am not sure where the problem lies

I tried to tcpdump and check if there is data , most of data length is 0 and few are having data length of 3 and less values.

How to proceed with this?

Thanks,
Raj

Have you looked at what rsyslog actually is sending, to take Logstash out of the equation?

1 Like

there was some issues from client server side,now am able to receive it ,thanks for the help

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.