Logstash - split array into individual events

(Ron Grosberg) #1

Hi!
One of our logs contains lines of arrays of json objects.... I want to take each one of the items in the array and make it a single even.
I read some posts on how to do it :
https://discuss.elastic.co/t/split-nested-json-array/147969
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30558535/logstash-how-do-i-split-an-array-using-the-split-filter-without-a-target

But I was not able to make mine work....
Here is what a line looks like for me:
[{"timeStarted": "2019-05-13T09:03:34.995Z","operations": {"operation 1" { ... } "operation 2" { ... }} },{"timeStarted": "2019-05-13T09:03:35.000Z","operations": {"operation 1" { ... } "operation 2" { ... }} ]

and this is what I tried with my conf:

filter {	
		split {
			field => "message"
			target => "events"
			add_field => { 
				"operations" => "%{operations}" 
				"timeStarted"  => "%{timeStarted}" 
			}
		}

mutate {
			add_field => { 
				"site" => "%{path}"
				#"operations" => "%{[events][operations]" 
				#"timeStarted"  => "%{[events][timeStarted]" 
			}

remove_field => ["[message]"]
		}

date {
			match => ["[timeStarted]", "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSS"]  
		}

}

I tried different options, but I could not get the fields out. I only get 1 event per line and get parse error for the fields...
I tried adding the fields both as part of the split and as part of a mutate, neither of them worked for me
any idea?
Thanks!!!

If that is the content of [message] then

input { generator { count => 1 lines => [ '[{"timeStarted": "2019-05-13T09:03:34.995Z","operations": {"operation 1": 1, "operation 2": 2 } },{"timeStarted": "2019-05-13T09:03:35.000Z","operations": {"operation 1": 1, "operation 2": 2 } } ]' ] } }
filter {
    json { source => "message" target => "someField" }
    split { field => "someField" }
}

will work. Note that since it is an array the target option on the json filter is required.

(Ron Grosberg) #3

What the first line means (input generator)?
is this just to test instead of the file input we use?

Yes.

(Ron Grosberg) #5

Thanks
can you explain - is this what you meant or a typo -

filter {
json { source => "message" target => "someField" }
split { field => "someField" }
}

In both the output is "someField" yet the split input is field which is undefined... did you mean that the json target is field or someField?

This tells the split filter to operate upon a field called "someField". That name has to match the target of the json filter.

(Ron Grosberg) #7

Thanks! it worked!!