Logstash startup completed nothing proceeds after this command in logstash

I am trying to index the data from logs file to elastisearch but I was unable to do so because after the Logstash Startup completed message appears nothing actually happens. So I changed conf file to

input {
file {
path => "/home/ayush/Desktop/logstash-tutorial-dataset"
start_position => "beginning"
}
}
output {
stdout {}

}

So the data of logstash-tutorial-dataset should gets printed on terminal but it isn't. Please help me with this.

What happens if you add sincedb_path => "/dev/null" to your file input?

Or read these docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-inputs-file.html#_tracking_of_current_position_in_watched_files

Thanks for the reply, it solved my problem. But I have couple of questions on this.

1. How does adding sincedb_path => "/dev/null" solved my problem. What it actually did?
  2. When I am changing my conf file like this
    input {
    file {
    path => "/home/ayush/Desktop/logstash-tutorial-dataset"
    start_position => "beginning"
    sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
    }
    }
    output {
    file {
    path => "/home/ayush/Desktop/ltd.txt"
    }
    stdout{}

}
I am able to get the value printed through stdout on terminal as well as the .txt file gets created but no data is present in the ltd.txt file .How can I solve this?

How does adding sincedb_path => "/dev/null" solved my problem. What it actually did?

It tells Logstash to read the sincedb information from /dev/null, basically an empty file, thereby not paying attention to the old sincedb file which contained the current position in the file. The start_position option only matters for new and previously unseen files. If Logstash has processed a file it won't process it again regardless of the start_position option.

Can you please help me with the sceond question as well?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.