Logstash syslog output plugin not setting facility

Hi,

I want to use the logstash syslog output plugin (Syslog output plugin | Logstash Reference [8.11] | Elastic) to send specific logs to a remote host.

It doesn't work if I configure the output to send to the remote host directly, can't figure out why (remote site isn't under my control).
So I tried to send to a local rsyslog instance, which then should forward the logs to the remote host.
For that I want to set "facility => local5" in the output configuration, and let rsyslog forward everything with local5.* to the remote site.
But nothing gets send out. Only when I tell rsyslog to send everything ( *.* ) it works.

Configs look like this:

logstash:

output {
      syslog {
      host => "localhost"
      port => "5141"
      protocol => "tcp"
      facility => "local5"
      severity => "informational"
    }
}

rsyslog:

$ModLoad imuxsock # local message reception
$WorkDirectory /var/log/rsyslog/ # default location for work (spool) files
$ActionQueueType LinkedList # use asynchronous processing
$ActionQueueFileName srvrfwd # set file name, also enables disk mode
$ActionResumeRetryCount -1 # infinite retries on insert failure
$ActionQueueSaveOnShutdown on # save in-memory data if rsyslog shuts down
# this does not work: 
# local5.*   @@remotehost.tld:443
# this works: 
*.*   @@remotehost.tld:443

So I suspect that the facility doesn't get set correctly.
Any ideas?

What if you use netcat to listen to a (different) TCP port and dump the results? What does Logstash actually send if you direct it to that port?

Hi, I'm having the same issue with logstash-output-syslog-3.0.1.
It seems that if you configure to sent to facility local5 it sends it to local3 and if you specify local7 then it'll send it to local5 and so on (2 less than what we configure).

This seems like a regression because I've used to use logstash-output-syslog (0.1.4) and it works fine with the same config but 3.0.1 doesn't work

Nobody else sees this issue?

Still not resolved or got traction. I'll open a issue for that plugin

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.