Logstash unrecognized service

Hello there,

I am working on upgrading Elastic from 2.4 to 5.6. Elasticsearch and Kibana seem to be fine, but when I installed LogStash, I can no longer seem to start logstash.

When I try 'service logstash status' I get a return of 'logstash: unrecognized service'. I am not sure If I did something wrong here. This is on a CentOS 6.9 virtual machine.

I have checked the startup.options file and it lists the service name as 'logstash'

Thanks in advance.

I also check 'service --status-all' and I do not see a logstash service running either. Logs are being sent though. I am not sure if there was a change in how it runs in 5.6, but I couldn't seem to find anything related to that. I did find an article on here with someone having a similar issue, but they did not reply after the initial opening, so it closed out.

I was able to find how to do a config test in 5.6. It is slightly different from 2.4, but its output says

/opt/logstash/bin/logstash: No such file or directory

Still looking into that part

Ok so I fixed that issue by setting the config file to point at /usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash instead, but now I am stuck again. I get this error:

WARNING: Could not find logstash.yml which is typically located in $LS_HOME/config or /etc/logstash. You can specify the path using --path.settings. Continuing using the defaults

but my startup.options specify /etc/logstash for the yml file

# Set a home directory
LS_HOME=/etc/logstash

# logstash settings directory, the path which contains logstash.yml
LS_SETTINGS_DIR=/etc/logstash

and here is my yml file in /etc/logstash

[root@localhost logstash]# ls -la /etc/logstash/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4096 Feb 14 14:43 .
drwxr-xr-x. 89 root root 4096 Feb 14 12:32 ..
drwxrwxr-x   2 root root 4096 Feb 14 14:14 conf.d
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1736 Feb 14 12:34 jvm.options
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1334 Jan 25 17:40 log4j2.properties
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 5806 Feb 14 12:42 logstash.yml
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1653 Feb 14 14:05 startup.options

There must be something else I am missing somewhere.

Ah so I guess that is a common thing to see, but I cannot seem to get logstash to start. when I try

/etc/init.d/logstash start logstash

I get an error saying configuration error. Not restart. Re-run with config test parameter for details.

The only errors that show are

[root@localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/logstash.rpmsave configtest logstash
WARNING: Could not find logstash.yml which is typically located in $LS_HOME/config or /etc/logstash. You can specify the path using --path.settings. Continuing using the defaults
ERROR: Unrecognised option '--configtest'

I am not sure where the --configtest error is coming from as I did not modify that at all.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.