Logstash v.6 error after x-pack installation

Hello,

I have installed x-pack for Logstash. When I try to run configuration file, I get the following error:
[FATAL] 2017-10-04 15:41:55.607 [LogStash::Runner] runner - An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<NoMethodError: undefined method register_pipeline' for #<LogStash::Agent:0x10e9b3c1>>, :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/x-pack-5.6.2-java/lib/monitoring/monitoring.rb:102:inafter_initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/event_dispatcher.rb:34:in block in fire'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/event_dispatcher.rb:32:infire'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:77:in initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:438:increate_agent'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:351:in execute'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:inrun'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:232:in run'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:inrun'", "/usr/share/logstash/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:71:in `'"]}

I have updated the logstash.yml file as per:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/master/monitoring-logstash.html

Any help appreciated.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this further?

What does the config file look like?

My configuration in logstash is as below:
xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.url: "http://localhost:9200"
xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.username: "logstash_system"
xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.password: "changeme"

I can also authenticate with this user as below:
curl -u logstash_system 'http://localhost:9200/_xpack/security/_authenticate?pretty=true'
Enter host password for user 'logstash_system':
{
"username" : "logstash_system",
"roles" : [
"logstash_system"
],
"full_name" : null,
"email" : null,
"metadata" : {
"_reserved" : true
},
"enabled" : true
}
When I do plugin list for logstash, it shows up as installed.

I installed x-pack version 5.6.2 and it shows up in Gemfile as below:
gem "x-pack", "= 5.6.2"

I enabled xpack for Kibana and ES as well, I see these in Kibana in monitoring tab. The only one I can't get working is Logstash.

So you are specifically having issues getting monitoring working?

Since installing x-pack, Logstash doesn't work anymore. When starting logstash- my pipelines fail due to the error above.
So issue is with Logstash working after x-pack installation.

The reason why I installed x-pack is to get monitoring of Logstash in Kibana. But now it seems with xpack enabled, I cant get Logstash to work anymore, unless I remove x-pack.

Would be great to have x-pack working though!

From the version numbers you have, it looks like you tried to install x-pack 5.6 into logstash 6.0 (beta)

That will definitely not work. You need to install the correct version of x-pack to match your version of logstash.

Thanks for the info, I thought x-pack 5.6.2 would work with Logstash 6.0 but I see now this is not the case.
I will upgrade x-pack and come back if I have any issues.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.