Logstash YAML Error

Yet Another Newby Question

I am not sure what file to look in I have looked over logstash.yml several times and do not see were the error may be. I might need a better guide to yml files. Here is the error:

Aug 09 07:46:48 dhpxtlmd1 logstash[12478]: ERROR: Failed to parse YAML file "/etc/logstash/logstash.yml". Please confirm if the YAML structure is valid (e.g. look for incorrect usage of whitespace or indentation). Aborting... parser_error=>
Aug 09 07:46:48 dhpxtlmd1 logstash[12478]: [ERROR] 2018-08-09 07:46:48.971 [main] Logstash - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit
Aug 09 07:46:49 dhpxtlmd1 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 07:46:49 dhpxtlmd1 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 07:46:49 dhpxtlmd1 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 09 07:46:49 dhpxtlmd1 systemd[1]: logstash.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.

First, make sure there are no tab characters in the file. If there are none, then show us what the non-comment lines look like. Does it really not log any text after parser_error?

Thank you Badger, you did not say much but it was very helpful.
I am trying to implement a secure connection between elasticsearch and logstash. I was able to track some of the errors down by toggling some settings on and off. I am looking at some logstash configuration files which have the logstash user and passwords included I guess I am looking for a good recommendation on how to test these files if they work correctly. Or even what a good guide to troubleshooting this type of connection.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.