"Mapper for [title] conflicts..." error message

An error message is displayed in the developer console when we visit kibana: https://discuss.elastic.co/t/graphs-not-being-displayed/46604/7?u=mbanders

Error: [illegal_argument_exception] Mapper for [title] conflicts with existing mapping in other types: ...

All we do is post our JSON data and let elasticsearch do the rest. Did it generate a bad mapping or something?

If you use mapping, check your mapping for "title"

If you are not using mapping, you may have documents having title's values of different type when you leave it up to ES to determine and in this case, ES could not do that. In general, ES is pretty good with that so I would check the data first.

The data we upload has no "title" field. And looking at the mapping, I see no setting for "title".

If you go to kibana, go to settings, select this index and click refresh. It will refresh a list of fields found the index. "title" maybe was in the previous sets when the index name in kibana was created. Alternatively, you can drop the index from kibana, re-create it, kibana will load the current set of fields up.

title isn't shown there either:

Viewing that settings page also shows this in the developer console:

Error: [illegal_argument_exception] Mapper for [title] conflicts with existing mapping in other types:
[mapper [title] has different [index] values, mapper [title] has different [omit_norms] values, cannot change from disable to enabled, mapper [title] has different [analyzer], mapper [title] is used by multiple types. Set update_all_types to true to update [omit_norms] across all types., mapper [title] is used by multiple types. Set update_all_types to true to update [search_analyzer] across all types., mapper [title] is used by multiple types. Set update_all_types to true to update [search_quote_analyzer] across all types.]

Do you have this index built previously with a different version of ES? or a combination of ES, Kibana, and probably Marvel since I saw Marvel in the screenshot. It looks like something is out of sync-ed.

If you have not seen these two links, check them out...

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-put-mapping.html#merging-conflicts

The final solution was to click the big red button to DELETE the whole cluster. Then create a new cluster and use that instead. I don't know what was wrong with Elastic's amazon cluster creator thing, but deleting it and using a new one worked.