MapperParsingException only when using the Java API Client

I am running into an issue that I believe has to do with the ES Java API client. I can make the following request to my ES cluster in Postman and receive the intended results:

GET resumes/_search?pretty=true

{   
    "size": 0,
    "runtime_mappings" : {
        "name_and_email": {
            "type" : "keyword",
            "script" : { "source" : "emit(doc['lastname.keyword'].value + doc['firstname.keyword'].value)"}
        }
    },
    "aggs" : {
        "unique_resumes" : {
            "terms" : {
                "field" : "name_and_email"
            }
        }
    }

}

Which yields a response of:

{
    "took": 15,
    "timed_out": false,
    "_shards": {
        "total": 1,
        "successful": 1,
        "skipped": 0,
        "failed": 0
    },
    "hits": {
        "total": {
            "value": 1653,
            "relation": "eq"
        },
        "max_score": null,
        "hits": []
    },
    "aggregations": {
        "unique_resumes": {
            "doc_count_error_upper_bound": 0,
            "sum_other_doc_count": 1602,
            "buckets": [
                {
                    "key": "SwiftTaylor",
                    "doc_count": 11
                },
                {
                    "key": "PittBrad",
                    "doc_count": 6
                },
                {
                    "key": "BradyTom",
                    "doc_count": 5
                },
                {
                    "key": "MossRandy",
                },
                {
                    "key": "WilsonRussel",
                },
                {
                    "key": "BushGeorge",
                    "doc_count": 4
                },
                {
                    "key": "ObamaBarrack",
                },
                {
                    "key": "SmithJohn",
                },
                {
                    "key": "DoeJohn",
                },
                {
                    "key": "DoeJane",
                    "doc_count": 3
                }
            ]
        }
    }
}

I am admittedly unfamiliar with aggregates in ES so I am not certain that this is the perfect way to do it, but for now it works in postman. The problem arises when I implement that query using the Java API Client in my spring boot application. I tried using a hardcoded string and the .withJson() method to ensure that the query is being translated perfectly like this:

private final String jsonQuery = " {   \r\n"
			+ "    \"size\": 0,\r\n"
			+ "    \"runtime_mappings\" : {\r\n"
			+ "        \"name_and_email\": {\r\n"
			+ "            \"type\" : \"keyword\",\r\n"
			+ "            \"script\" : { \"source\" : \"emit(doc['firstname.keyword'].value + doc['lastname.keyword'].value)\"}\r\n"
			+ "        }\r\n"
			+ "    },\r\n"
			+ "    \"aggs\" : {\r\n"
			+ "        \"unique_resumes\" : {\r\n"
			+ "            \"terms\" : {\r\n"
			+ "                \"field\" : \"name_and_email\"\r\n"
			+ "            }\r\n"
			+ "        }\r\n"
			+ "    }\r\n"
			+ "\r\n"
			+ "} ";

SearchResponse<JsonNode> totalQuery = es.getClient().search(s->s
    .withJson(new ByteArrayInputStream(jsonQuery.getBytes())), JsonNode.class);

This returns an error like such from the client:

co.elastic.clients.elasticsearch._types.ElasticsearchException: [es/search] failed: [search_phase_execution_exception] all shards failed
	at co.elastic.clients.transport.rest_client.RestClientTransport.getHighLevelResponse(RestClientTransport.java:281)
	at co.elastic.clients.transport.rest_client.RestClientTransport.performRequest(RestClientTransport.java:147) 

So I looked in my ES logs and found this error:

[2022-07-20T16:01:44,659][TRACE][o.e.s.SearchService      ] [rdb-elasticsearch-8-dev-node] Query phase failed
org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.MapperParsingException: Expected map for runtime field [name_and_email] definition but got a java.util.ArrayList
	at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.RuntimeField.parseRuntimeFields(RuntimeField.java:188) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.RuntimeField.parseRuntimeFields(RuntimeField.java:132) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.index.query.SearchExecutionContext.parseRuntimeMappings(SearchExecutionContext.java:685) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.index.query.SearchExecutionContext.<init>(SearchExecutionContext.java:162) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.index.IndexService.newSearchExecutionContext(IndexService.java:631) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.search.DefaultSearchContext.<init>(DefaultSearchContext.java:163) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.createSearchContext(SearchService.java:1020) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.createContext(SearchService.java:968) ~[elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeQueryPhase(SearchService.java:623) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.lambda$executeQueryPhase$2(SearchService.java:489) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.action.ActionRunnable.lambda$supply$0(ActionRunnable.java:47) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.action.ActionRunnable$2.doRun(ActionRunnable.java:62) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:26) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.TimedRunnable.doRun(TimedRunnable.java:33) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.doRun(ThreadContext.java:768) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:26) [elasticsearch-8.3.0.jar:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) [?:?]

I used the correct/preferred way using the lambda syntax and received the exact same error:

SearchResponse<JsonNode> totalQuery = es.getClient().search(s->s
					.size(0)
					.runtimeMappings("name_and_email", Arrays.asList(
						RuntimeField.of(r->r
							.type(RuntimeFieldType.Keyword)
							.script(p->p
									.inline(i->i
											.lang("painless")
											.source("emit(doc['firstname.keyword'].value + doc['lastname.keyword'].value )")
											)
									)
							)
						)
					)
					.aggregations("unique_resumes", Aggregation.of(a->a
							.terms(t->t
									.field("name_and_email")
								  )
							)
					)
					, JsonNode.class);

To the best of my knowledge this is a 1 to 1 mapping of the query I am trying to perform. One bit of confusion I have, is that when adding runtimeMappings, it wants a key with a list of runtime mappings so I use Arrays.asList to do so. If it were not for the first method failing as well, I would have thought that the error originated there but it appears that the string is interpreted in the same way.

The error makes sense with the lambda expression way, as I am passing an array list in with the key "name_and_email". However, the same error is thrown when I am just passing the query as a json string.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.