Mapping works in default index, but not in custom one

Hello, fellow Elastic enthusiasts!

Despite following the documentation and various online resources, I find myself at a standstill. Here's a brief overview of my setup:

My Logstash pipeline is configured to output data into Elasticsearch. The configuration snippet looks like this:

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["elasticsearch:9200"]
    index => "my_index-custom-stage"
    action => "create"
    user => "logstash_internal"
    password => "${LOGSTASH_INTERNAL_PASSWORD}"
  }
}

I've designed a custom ingestion pipeline and mappings for my_index to accommodate a complex data structure with nested fields. The mappings are as follows:

{
  "mappings": {
    "properties": {
      "ip-info": {
        "type": "nested",
        ... // (Additional nested field mappings for clarity)
      }
    }
  }
}

When I inspect the data in the my_index data stream view, I only observe the original ip-info object in its JSON format. Conversely, when examining the default logs-* index view, the ip-info object is parsed correctly, displaying all nested fields as expected.
This is a document in my_index and the same document in default logs-* index:
mapping

Despite numerous attempts to resolve the issue—including switching from data streams to indexes, ensuring mappings are in place before ingesting any documents, and tweaking various settings—I've hit a wall. The my_index retains the nested field as JSON, whereas the logs-* index parses it without any problem.

Has anyone faced a similar challenge, or does anyone have insights into what might be going wrong? Here are my specific questions:

1. Why does the my_index not parse the nested ip-info object correctly, while the default logs-* index does?
  2. Are there any recommended debugging steps or configurations I might have overlooked that could resolve this parsing discrepancy?

Thank you in advance!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.