Metricbeat jolokia agent for tomcat application

Hello
I'm contacting you about collecting metrics for a java tomcat application.
We want to collect metrics for our application and we need to put it on the ELK stack for graphing !!

here below many config :

==> on my tomcat server : 

-- jolokia running on port 8778
-- jolokia.yml :

• module: jolokia
    metricsets: ["jmx"]
    hosts: ["localhost:8778"]
    period: 10s
    namespace: "jvm"
    jmx.mappings:
    • mbean: "java.lang:type=Memory"
      attributes:
      • attr: "HeapMemoryUsage"
        field: "memory.heap"
      • attr: "NonHeapMemoryUsage"
        field: "memory.nonheap"
    • mbean: "java.lang:type=Threading"
      attributes:
      • attr: "ThreadCount"
        field: "thread.count"
        event: threads
      • attr: "DaemonThreadCount"
        field: "thread.daemon"
        event: threads
        jmx.application:
        jmx.instance:

-- metricbeat.yml :

output.elasticsearch:
hosts: ["server_elastic:9200"]

the question is, we have to create a configuration on logstash? pipelines for example? or is the output to elasticsearch enough?

Thank you for your answer

regards
sai

Hi,

You do not need to create a LogStash pipeline for this usecase. MetricBeat will send the data in the correct form to ElasticSearch so you do not need to parse anything.

Best regards
Wolfram

okey i see
but with my configuration i have to restart services and it will work ?

many thanks

sai

It should work, yes.

@Wolfram_Haussig thanks for replying !!
do you know how to get dashboard on kibana ? should i create it ?
i can't get graphing for JMX on kibana !!!

regards
sai

note that i have not restart elk stack
and on my metricbeat machine log i see :

Mar 03 17:51:50 id-pp-prov-rt2-a metricbeat[16426]: 2020-03-03T17:51:50.274+0100        INFO        [monitoring]        log/log.go:145        Non-zero metrics in the last 30s        {"monitoring": {"metrics": {"beat":{"cpu":{"system":{"ticks":4350,"time":{"ms":112}},"total":{"ticks":10190,"time":{"ms":284},"value":10190},"user":{"ticks":5840,"time":{"ms":172}}},"handles":{"limit":{"hard":4096,"soft":1024},"open":10},"info":{"ephemeral_id":"25152cf0-58e5-4991-9da2-ada70ed237b3","uptime":{"ms":1050096}},"memstats":{"gc_next":15689216,"memory_alloc":8114200,"memory_total":1913013072,"rss":-2736128},"runtime":{"goroutines":46}},"libbeat":{"config":{"module":{"running":0}},"output":{"events":{"acked":69,"batches":6,"total":69},"read":{"bytes":2455},"write":{"bytes":89385}},"pipeline":{"clients":4,"events":{"active":1,"published":70,"total":70},"queue":{"acked":69}}},"metricbeat":{"jolokia":{"jmx":{"events":3,"success":3}},"system":{"cpu":{"events":3,"success":3},"filesystem":{"events":17,"success":17},"fsstat":{"events":1,"success":1},"load":{"events":4,"success":4},"memory":{"events":3,"success":3},"network":{"events":12,"success":12},"process":{"events":21,"success":21},"process_summary":{"events":3,"success":3},"socket_summary":{"events":3,"success":3}}},"system":{"load":{"1":0.07,"15":0.25,"5":0.2,"norm":{"1":0.07,"15":0.25,"5":0.2}}}}}}

Regards
sai

Hi Sai,

As the jolokia module can be widely configured and changed to fit the customers needs it would be hard - or even impossible - do create a dashboard for the customers.

I think the tomcat module of metricbeat - which is still in BETA - will get a dashboard as soon as it is GA as this has a defined set of metrics which can only be enabled or disabled...

So for now, you would have to create your own dashboards.

Best regards
Wolfram

ok thanks ,
but when i would create new dashboard in kibana i can't get jmx (spacename) !!

regards
sai

Hi @Wolfram_Haussig
Here below my conf in logstash server pipelines.yml:
- pipeline.id: pipeline_metrics
path.config: "/opt/logstash/config/conf.d/pipeline_metrics.conf"

input {

beats {
port => 5044
}
}

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["http://localhost:9200"]
index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][metricbeat-7.6.0]}"
}
}

my probleme i don't have any entries in elk stack :confused:
thanks

Hi,

Why are you using LogStash for this case? I think that the data is being written to the wrong index or it is not written at all. I would recommend that you configure MetricBeat to write directly to ElasticSearch. If this is not possible please check that:

• does the logstash log show any errors?
  • if you have monitoring enabled please check if the pipeline is receiving and sending data
  • check in Kibana if you can see the correct index being created and written to

Best regards
Wolfram

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.