Metricbeat: postgresql (module); kibana: dashboard and/or visualize is missing?

I renamed postgresql.yml.disabled to postgresql.yml inside of /etc/metricbeat/modules.d/ directory, followed by restarting of metricbeat.service per following:

PostgreSQL Module | Metricbeat Reference [6.0] | Elastic

I'm unable to see any of metrics via Kibana (not even seeing a dashboard and/or visualize).

Please advise.

Are there any warnings or errors in the Metricbeat log file?

Did you set a username or password for postgres in the postgresql.yml file? Maybe is failing because it needs this.

I don't see any:

# grep -v INFO /var/log/metricbeat/metricbeat 
# 

I probably didn't made myself clear at the first place, perhaps metricbeat works just fine and maybe my main issue is more with Kibana rather then metricbeat. I'm don't see anything in relates to Postgresql inside of visualize and/or dashboard inside of Kibana.

Can you check the log for lines that have "non-zero". This line has metrics in it that will say how many events or errors were produced by each metricset. And how many events were published to the output.

If there were events published they should be showing up in the Discover tab on Kibana when you query for metricset.module: postgresql.

last line of my /var/log/metricbeat/metricbeat log file:

# tail -1 /var/log/metricbeat/metricbeat 
2017-11-28T12:33:59-05:00 INFO Non-zero metrics in the last 30s: beat.memstats.gc_next=7065440 beat.memstats.memory_alloc=4281304 beat.memstats.memory_total=4247128440 libbeat.config.module.running=3 libbeat.output.read.bytes=5409 libbeat.output.write.bytes=37326 libbeat.pipeline.clients=6 libbeat.pipeline.events.active=0 libbeat.pipeline.events.filtered=26 libbeat.pipeline.events.published=63 libbeat.pipeline.events.total=89 libbeat.pipeline.queue.acked=63 metricbeat.postgresql.activity.events=3 metricbeat.postgresql.activity.failures=3 metricbeat.postgresql.bgwriter.events=3 metricbeat.postgresql.bgwriter.failures=3 metricbeat.postgresql.database.events=3 metricbeat.postgresql.database.failures=3 metricbeat.system.cpu.events=3 metricbeat.system.cpu.success=3 metricbeat.system.filesystem.events=31 metricbeat.system.filesystem.success=31 metricbeat.system.fsstat.events=1 metricbeat.system.fsstat.success=1 metricbeat.system.load.events=3 metricbeat.system.load.success=3 metricbeat.system.memory.events=3 metricbeat.system.memory.success=3 metricbeat.system.network.events=6 metricbeat.system.network.success=6 metricbeat.system.process.events=30 metricbeat.system.process.success=30 metricbeat.system.process_summary.events=3 metricbeat.system.process_summary.success=3
# 

in Kibana via Discover if I filter to metricset.module: postgresql, I'm seeing following

{
"message": "QueryStats: pq: SSL is not enabled on the server"
}

which points to my postgresql (I'll look into SSL error outside of this discussion), however Discover is not Dashboard and/or Visualize.

How does one see it using Dashboard (Visualize) instead of Discover?

That log statement indicates that metricbeat is failing when getting the metrics from the DB. The errors should be sent to elasticsearch. This is probably where the message above is from (full field name should be error.message).

I think this means you need to disable SSL. Try a URL like postgres://localhost:40001?sslmode=disable.

Regarding the dashboards, did you install them? What version of ES and Kibana are you using?

I'll try ?sslmode=disable

dashboard:

I've used setup to load dashboards into Kibana, however I only have 11 and postgresql isn't one of them.

My environment:

# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)
# rpm -q elasticsearch kibana metricbeat
elasticsearch-6.0.0-1.noarch
kibana-6.0.0-1.x86_64
metricbeat-6.0.0-1.x86_64
#

I don't see anything in our documentation for the module about dashboards so perhaps no one has contributed dashboards for this module yet. Let me check.

Yeah, no dashboards checked into the repo for postgresql yet. And it's on this list.

Once you get some real data ingested, if you build some dashboards please consider exporting them and contributing to the project.

I'm also exploring elasticsearch.yml and kibana.yml modules from metricbeat and they're also "missing" dashboards (visualizers), shouldn't at least elasticsearch and kibana have dashboards (visualizers)?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.