Metrics Elasticsearch Reporter stability

Is the Dropwizard Metrics Elasticsearch Reporter stable and performing enough to be used in production?

Can I use it safely?

I sometimes get exceptions in Elasticsearch:

java.io.IOException: Connexion ré-initialisée
par le correspondant
        at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:39)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:223)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:192)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:380)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:64)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:108)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:337)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178)
        at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
        at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Hey,

so this looks as if the Elasticsearch host could not be connected to (from my non-existent french translation skills). If this only happens every now and then: Is the connection to the Elasticsearch cluster stable?

--Alex

Yes it happens from time to time.
I can not reproduce it (killing Elasticsearch, killing the app...)
There is no error in logs on Metrics reporter side.

Connection reset by peer means that the cluster closed the connection before the client could read data it expects. Maybe because connection was idling or timed out. The connection can also be closed by firewalls or gateways, which must be observed closely because it is not Elasticsearch' fault. This should not happen.

Thanks