Migrating to Elasticsearch 5

I am using Elasticsearch version 5 and logstash 6.0. Changed logstash.conf file with hostname and id paswd. I could see I am able to log in but getting error like "Couldn't index Event to Elasticsearch" . Error Status->404"
Can anyone help what should be changed .

Please be aware that there are no versions of 5.X that are currently supported, and 6.6 is the oldest 6.X that is still supported - https://www.elastic.co/support/eol

The latest version is 7.7 (or 6.8), so please upgrade :slight_smile:

I would also recommend upgrading. You can see which versions that are compatible in the support matrix. It would also help if you showed the full error together with anything related from the logs.

Hi @warkolm warkolm Thanks for your reply...I am new to this environment..
Do we need to install elasticsearch in logstach running server from where we are sending data or ielastic search only needed at data receiving side ? Please guide me.

@Christian_Dahlqvist, Hi, we are upgrading to 5.1.2 and can't upgrade to version 7 directly as we are using currently 2.3. the requirement is to use 5.X version only. It is 2 different machines. From sending machine logstash we are using 6.0.x and Receiver side ES is 2.3 currently.
We are going to authenticate with 2.4.X version and then can migrate to 5.X.
I tried by chaning URL and hostname in logstash.conf file but got error like "couldn't index event to elastic search error status-404".

I am new to this environment.

Could you please help me .

@warkolm: Hi, we are upgrading to 5.1.2 and can't upgrade to version 7 directly as we are using currently 2.3. the requirement is to use 5.X version only. It is 2 different machines. From sending machine logstash we are using 6.0.x and Receiver side ES is 2.3 currently.
We are going to authenticate with 2.4.X version and then can migrate to 5.X.
I tried by chaning URL and hostname in logstash.conf file but got error like "couldn't index event to elastic search error status-404".

I am new to this environment.

Could you please help me .
[/quote]

Yeah. It is extremely difficult for the newbie. Will be great if someone helps.

Did you really say that?

I am using Elasticsearch version 5 and logstash 6.0.

You should not mix major versions.
LS6 should be used with ES6. It's not meant to be compatible with ES5.

So upgrade to Elasticsearch 6.8 at least.

I believe you are dealing with logs, right?
If so, I'd recommend starting a brand new cluster with 7.7.0, with beats, elasticsearch and may be logstash depending on your use case.

Then after some days or weeks (depending on your retention period), remove the old cluster.

Would that work for you?

Another solution would be to start a 7.7 cluster and use reindex from remote if you really need to reimport the old data.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.