Migration issues from Logstash 2.4 to 5.6

Hello there,

I am trying to migrate from 2.4 to 5.6 on CentOS 6.9 and I have a slight issue. When I try to start logstash via

/etc/init.d/logstash.rpmsave start logstash

I get an error in logstash.err stating

WARNING: Could not find logstash.yml which is typically located in $LS_HOME/config or /etc/logstash. You can specify the path using --path.settings. Continuing using the defaults
ERROR: No configuration file was specified. Perhaps you forgot to provide the '-f yourlogstash.conf' flag?

it appears the warning is normal, but I cannot seem to find a solution to the error listed. I have my logstash.yml file stating the path for the config file

path.config: /etc/logstash/conf.d

Am I on the right track or am I missing something here? Also, is there a way to get it back to where I can type service logstash start or is this the way of starting logstash now?

Thank you

it seems your conf file path is not set in path setting file or you can run with conf file with start command.

the conf file path is set in my logstash.yml file as follows:

path.settings: /etc/logstash/conf.d that is where all the inputs, filters, and outputs are. Is this not right?

path.settings: /etc/logstash/conf.d
it seems there is space b/w ': /etc/' pls check the same in your conf file and remove it.

OR

5.0 forces you to have the settings file. But the default settings file has a row:
path.config: /etc/logstash/conf.d

This becomes a problem if you run the application and use -f to point it to a custom configuration file like this.
sudo /usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash -f /home/ec2-user/logstashfileinput.yaml --path.settings /etc/logstash/

Whatever file you point to using -f gets ignored and instead uses the file located at /etc/logstash/conf.d/. Assuming there even is one. The settings file takes precedence over whatever you pass in as a command line flag. If you were already planning on using that file then it isn't a problem, but for my cases I wasn't.
I haven't tested it, but it's possible that whatever is in the settings file would also take precedence over -w and -b too.

Awesome! Good info there. I appreciate that very much. Logstash is running smoothly now.

:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.