Monitoring data streams

Hi,
I started to use data streams in my ELK stack. However, I can't see proper data regarding to the indexing rate. "Elasticsearch overview" shows a 20/s indexing rate, and I can't see the backing indices in the "Indices" tab either. In Index Management, I see that the data stream is growing but I'd like to see some more hands-on data on the speed/rate.
What am I missing?
Thanks!

You need to click on the toggle Filter for system indices, it needs to be enabled.

With this enabled you will be able to see the backing indices, they all start with .ds*

You need to click on the toggle Filter for system indices , it needs to be enabled.

It's on by default (at least for me), and naturally, I checked that. I see Metricbeat and other system indices there, but I don't see the 13 backing indices for my datastream.
Also, that doesn't explain why doesn't the "Elasticsearch overview" show me the real indexing rate.

Per default it is disabled.

You need to share what you are seeing, because there is not much to troubleshoot here.

Also I'm not sure what overview page you are talking about.

Please provide some context what you are seeing and what you expected to see.

Per default it is disabled.

Okay, sorry, I most likely enabled it when I set up the cluster.

Also I'm not sure what overview page you are talking about.

This is the overview where I don't see the real indexing rate (~25K according to Logstash).

In "Stack Management" --> "Index Management" --> "Indices" I see the backing indices for the datastream. When I select one and check "Settibgs" I see this:

"settings": {
"index": {
"hidden": "true",

I did not set this. I tried to edit this setting but it didn't change the fact that I only see monitoring related indices (normal and datastream) in the "Indices" tab ("Stack Monitoring" --> "Cluster" --> "my-elastic-cluster" --> "Elasticsearch" --> "indices").

Thank you for helping! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.