Multiline issue with filebeat

Hi,

I'm having issues with trying to aggregate java exceptions into a single message using the filebeat multiline support. From everything I've read this should be very simple, yet, no matter what I try, it doesn't work. I've spent a few hours reading through similar issues that people have had, but none of the suggestions made for those, have worked for me.

My setup is;
filebeat -> logstash -> elasticsearch

all logstash is doing in this setup is directing the message to a particular elasticsearch index depending on the values of some metadata tags that are added by filebeat.

I should add that we are running multiple services and each have their own instance of filebeat running - we are running on ubuntu 16.04, and filebeat is controlled by systemd.

For each of the services, the multiline config is;

multiline.pattern: '^[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}'
  multiline.negate: true
  multiline.match: after

where the log line begins with the date. An example of the logline is;

2020-07-22 15:41:24,174 - [WARN] - o.a.k.c.n.Selector - Error in I/O with hostA java.io.EOFException: null
	at org.apache.kafka.common.network.NetworkReceive.readFrom(NetworkReceive.java:62) ~[service1.jar:1.0]
	at org.apache.kafka.common.network.Selector.poll(Selector.java:248) ~[service1.jar:1.0]
	at org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient.poll(NetworkClient.java:192) [service1.jar:1.0]
	at org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.Sender.run(Sender.java:191) [service1.jar:1.0]
	at org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.Sender.run(Sender.java:122) [service1.jar:1.0]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [na:1.8.0_211]

I have run this regexp through the play sandbox (https://play.golang.org/) with the above logline, and it matches fine. I have even tried variations on the regexp, as follows

#multiline.pattern: '^[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]'
  #multiline.pattern: '^\d?\d.\d\d.\d\d'

and while both return matches in the sandbox, I see no difference in the behaviour when I try them with my service.

I have also tested my config with filebeat, as follows;

root@<host>:/# /home/filebeat/filebeat/filebeat test config config/filebeat.service1.yml
Config OK

and I have used a yaml validator to ensure there are no formatting issues with my config file.

At this point I am not sure what else I can do to pinpoint what my issue is.

Firstly, can I discount logstash as being an issue here? The logstash config for this service does very little. It simply takes in the message and outputs it to a certain index. The logstash config is

input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
  }
}

filter {
  if "service1" in [tags]{
    grok {
      match => {"message" => "INFO\s+\[%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:logtimestamp}\] %{GREEDYDATA:message}"}
    }
  }
}
output {
  if "service1" in [tags]{
    elasticsearch {
      hosts => ["http://<elasticsearch_host>:9200"]
      index => "<servicename>-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    }
  }
}

My own feeling is that logstash is not an issue and that I need to focus on the filebeat side. Unfortunately the logs are not terribly verbose and there is nothing to indicate whether my logline is being aggregated into a single message, or not.

One thing that did occur to me is that there could be some hidden character in the logline that doesn't show up when I view in a terminal or text editor. I will continue to investigate this, but in the meantime, any advice here would be greatly appreciated. And, if there is any further information I can provide to help, please let me know.

thanks
Bryan

From testing filebeat with output.stdout enabled I can see that the issue is very much on the filebeat side. The 'multiline.pattern' is not matching the logline. Still investigating why....

Another point that might be worth mentioning is that I am using

filebeat.config.inputs

rather than

filebeat.inputs

it turned out that this was relevant.

When I sent the output to the console, I could see that the multiline was not working when using
filebeat.config.inputs

when I change it to
filebeat.inputs

I can see that the multiline does work.

My problem now is sending that to logstash. It doesn't appear to be working, but thats a different issue. Thanks to anyone who cast an eye over this issue. I guess the solution is not to use
filebeat.config.inputs.

You have a valid point about the multiline because I am having exactly the same trouble as you.

What worries me though is that there are no replies or comments on this post from other people/experts that could actually help debug this problem.

I was adding to this case as I was debugging it, so I guess I arrived at my solution before anyone else may have felt the need to add anything.

I found running filebeat in debug mode helped a lot - I used full verbosity. A lot to parse, but it helped me get where I needed to be.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/enable-filebeat-debugging.html

If you want to elaborate on your issues I'd be happy to help, if I can. Or if you have a ticket already opened, link it here and I can share what I learned.

thanks

Its quite funny because after using your debugging methods I was also able to fix my issue,

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.