Multiple configurations (ubuntu 14.04 using apt-get)

apt-get update is giving me the following warnings. should I be concerned?

W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2

apt-get clean does not resolve the issue.

Ian

Do you happen to have the elasticsearch apt repository set up in both /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d?

Hi Nik
I just checked

:/etc/apt$ ls -l
total 48
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 30 04:03 apt.conf.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 14 2016 preferences.d
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 3024 Feb 26 10:36 sources.list
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 30 17:28 sources.list.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13483 Feb 28 09:14 trusted.gpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12255 Feb 15 14:20 trusted.gpg~
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 14 2016 trusted.gpg.d
ian@ian-OptiPlex-790:/etc/apt$

/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls -l
total 16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124 Mar 31 08:16 elastic-5.x.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 68 Feb 28 09:15 elasticsearch-2.x.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 61 Feb 28 09:35 kibana-4.4.x.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 63 Feb 28 09:56 logstash-2.2.x.list

I think i'm good on that one

In that case I'm really not sure what is up! I'm not really an expert on apt though.

Can you please share the output of:

$ cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list | sed '52q;d'

and

$ cat /etc/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x

cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list | sed '52q;d'
52 deb https://artifacts.elastic.co/packages/5.x/apt stable main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list

$ cat /etc/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x
cat: /etc/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x: No such file or directory

Sorry, I meant:

$ cat /etc/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list

Anyway, it looks me that you likely indeed have a duplicate definition.

Hi
I did a $sudo apt-get remove --purge elasticsearch then for Logstash and Kibana in an attempt to do a clean re-installation however I am still getting warnings when I do a do an update.

Any ideas how I can completely remove the ELK from my system?

All packages are up to date.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: http://packages.elastic.co/kibana/4.4/debian/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 46095ACC8548582C1A2699A9D27D666CD88E42B4 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
W: http://packages.elastic.co/logstash/2.2/debian/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 46095ACC8548582C1A2699A9D27D666CD88E42B4 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:52 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2

I think that you should remove the duplicate definition from your sources (for example, remove the entry in /etc/apt/sources.list).

Ah ha! the error is from the;

echo "deb https://artifacts.elastic.co/packages/5.x/apt stable main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list

apt update was clean with no warning until I re-installed Logstash. Am I being a complete novice on this issue?

All packages are up to date.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list:2

Ian

Do you have the source defined multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elastic-5.x.list now? It seems that you do. You can remove the second offending line.

Hi Jason, yes indeed. I removed the offending line and all seems to be working as intended.
Many thanks

Ian

You're welcome.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.