Multiple pipelines with Fileabeat and Logstash

Hi,

I know this is a known topic, I read different discussions but.. I'm still stuck, if someone could help me I will be grateful.

What I'm trying to achieve is this:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/pipeline-to-pipeline.html#distributor-pattern

My Filebeat configuration is listening to different folders, and it does react as soon as I add a file in one of them:

filebeat.inputs:

- type: log
  enabled: true
  paths:
    - d:/mygit/all/*.log

paths: 
    - d:/mygit/first/*.log
  tags: ["first"]

paths:
    - d:/mygit/second/*.log
  tags: ["second"]

And here is my pipelines.yml:

- pipeline.id: beats-server
  config.string: |
    input { beats { port => 5044 } }
    output {
        if "first" in [tags] {
          pipeline { send_to => first}
        } else if "second" in [tags] {
          pipeline { send_to => second}
        } else {
          pipeline { send_to => all}
        }
    }

- pipeline.id: first
  path.config: "d:/mygit/my-config-files/first.conf"

- pipeline.id: second
  path.config: "d:/mygit/my-config-files/second.conf"

- pipeline.id: all
  path.config: "d:/mygit/all.conf"

And my configuration files start with (same for first, second, all):

input { pipeline { address => first} }

As soon as I drag and drop a file in the filebeat's folders, I have an error on my Logstash terminal:

[2022-04-05T17:02:06,459][WARN ][org.logstash.plugins.pipeline.PipelineBus][beats-server][<long id>] Attempted to send event to 'first' but that address was unavailable. Maybe the destination pipeline is down or stopping? Will Retry.

To start Logstash I just did:

./bin/logstash

The pipeline.yml is automaticaly chose, and everything is running as usual, the last lines (before I add a file) are:

[2022-04-05T17:01:45,500][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Pipelines running {:count=>1, :running_pipelines=>[:"beats-server"], :non_running_pipelines=>[]}
[2022-04-05T17:01:45,546][INFO ][org.logstash.beats.Server][beats-server][<long id>] Starting server on port: 5044

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to run multiple Logstash for the different pipelines? Or something else like this?

Thanks!

Your logstash is starting only the first pipeline, called beats-server in the pipelines.yml file, it probably couldn't find the other pipelines.

I think this is a Windows issue with the path.

Can you try to change the path.config for something like this for your other pipelines?

path.config: "/D:/mygit/my-config-files/first.conf"

This is a working around that is said to work according to this comment on a github issue.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks a lot, it is working now!

[2022-04-06T09:30:03,860][INFO ][logstash.agent           ] Pipelines running {:count=>4, :running_pipelines=>[:"beats-server", :first, :all, :second], :non_running_pipelines=>[]}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.