Must I roll a specific plugin version for each {release} x {java} AND let users specify it upon installation?

Hi all,

I've written a plugin for elasticsearch (https://github.com/amcat/hitcount). I can now install the plugin using:

bin/plugin install amcat/hitcount

In order for this to work, the elasticsearch and java version you're running should be equal to the version specified in plugin-descriptor.properties. In all other cases, users should specificy the version explicitely:

bin/plugin install amcat/hitcount/2.3.4

In order for this to work however, I need to create a release for every elasticsearch version AND java version. My questions are:

• Is it possible to, just like the internal plugins, omit the version number and let elastic pick the correct version automatically?
  • Is it possible to specify multiple versions in plugin-descriptor.properties, especially for the Java version?

Check is done for elasticsearch version. I don't think we check the exact version for the JVM.

So you have to release your plugin anytime you want to be able to use it with a new elasticsearch version.
You can't specify multiple values.