Need Help Tuning ES for Large Data

Hello Everyone,

I have a relatively large data where we use a custom python script to ingest data using the bulk API. These are AWS Cloudtrail data for over 200 AWS Accounts aggregated in single s3 bucket. This has been running good since couple of years but as the data and number of AWS is getting added each day, it has become a nightmare to manage the number of shards it builds. Currently it creates a index for every account and every region. Say like bigdata-us-east- , and then us-west-2-. This goes on for every combination for all 13 AWS regions and 200 AWS accounts. So there are lots of shards getting created every single day. So if a single instance goes down it takes a really long time to rebuild it.

If someone can suggest a better way of indexing data which reduces the motherload of shards, it would really help.

My cluster health output:-

{
"cluster_name": "elk-prod",
"status": "red",
"timed_out": false,
"number_of_nodes": 7,
"number_of_data_nodes": 1,
"active_primary_shards": 198,
"active_shards": 198,
"relocating_shards": 0,
"initializing_shards": 4,
"unassigned_shards": 29020,
"delayed_unassigned_shards": 0,
"number_of_pending_tasks": 14,
"number_of_in_flight_fetch": 0,
"task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis": 19148,
"active_shards_percent_as_number": 0.6775716925603997
}

FYI this is a 9 node cluster with 3 data, ingest and master node served with HA Proxy.

Please let me know if you need any further details from my cluster and i am ready to provide it.

--
Niraj

What version are you on?

Use the shrink API to reduce your shard count, then look at ways to merge some of your indices.

Maybe by region, or by account but do monthly/yearly and a low shard count?

Thanks Mark for the suggestion. Can you show me an example of shrinking. I was looking at the documentation but found it a bit complicated.

Also will the shrinking results in any data loss as these are actual audit data of customers.

--
Niraj

No it will not.

Does And the big one said "Rollover" — Managing Elasticsearch time-based indices efficiently | Elastic Blog help?

Thanks for the link mark that was helpful. So i should basically create a small script and move/shrink over some old data to reduce the shard count. Right.

For some short term relief, yep.

A quick question @niraj_kumar , are you using the default number of shards or have you customised them?

@warkolm I have customized them to three.

@warkolm. Do we have a documentation for merging indices.

Indicies? No, you will need to use the reindex API for that.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.