.NET Agent does not recognize Elasticsearch.NET calls in the timeline

Kibana version: 7.0.1

Elasticsearch version: 7.0.1

APM Server version: 7.0.1

APM Agent language and version: .NET 1.1.0

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: Download Page

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? Fresh

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

I have 3 projects:

• ASP.NET Core 2.2 Web API: The main program in which I installed the Elastic.Apm.NetCoreAll, configured the appsettings.json and edited the startup.cs.
  • .NET Core 2.2 Class Library: Interfaces and Entities
  • .NET Core 2.2 Class Library: Implementation of interfaces that use Elasticsearch.NET to make requests to my Elasticsearch cluster.

The APM is working fine on Kibana however the timeline does not show the detailed transaction with the Elasticsearch call.

Taking a look at the supported technologies page I noticed that outgoing HTTP requests should have automatic instrumentation, so I suppose the transaction sample would show the request to my Elasticsearch server.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks!

Hi @Jimmy,

So, currently we don’t have specific support for the Elasticsearch.NET library, but as you correctly state outgoing HTTP requests are supported, and you should be able to see the HTTP requests that Elasticsearch.NET generates - btw. we have an open PR to have specific support for Elasticsearch.NET, but that is not merged and released yet, so let’s ignore that case.

So, overall this should work.

The first thing that came to my mind: did you turn on the agent with the UseAllElasticApm() method? There is another one called UseElasticApm, but that does not turn on outgoing HTTP monitoring. More details in the docs.

If that does not help then the next step would be to set the log level to Trace and send us the logs. Here is a sample on how to do that - instead of Error just put Trace there.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Hi @GregKalapos,

That was it! Thanks!

I think I missed these details in the docs because I used the Configuration on ASP.NET Core page, which does not mention anything regarding the UseAllElasticApm() method. It might help others to just add to the Note of the page a reminder about this other possibility.

Thanks again,
Jimmy

Thanks @Jimmy,

this is useful feedback - I just opened a PR to add a note about this.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.