Newbie and need help

I have a server running ElasticSearch. It's working and receiving logs from a bunch of our VM's. On a different server on the network I have installed Filebeat. This server stores JSON logs from another application. I am attempting to use Filebeat to process the JSON logs and send them to the ElasticSearch server on the network. But in Kibana, I am not seeing any results from these JSON logs like I am seeing for the other logs coming from the VM's.

I am pretty confident I have Filebeat configured correctly.

1. Running filebeat -configtest -e shows everything is OK.
  2. Under C:\Program Files\Filebeat\logs I see log file created showing that harvesters are starting and closing.

In Kibana, I've setup the index pattern. There are two, winlogbeat* which is working and has events from the VMs; and another filebeat-* which is giving no results.

In my yml config file for filebeat I have have the ElasticSearch output enabled. If I copy the host address/port from the yml ElasticSearch output and paste it in to the browser on the server that has Filebeat on it, I get a JSON file to download that shows the ELK servers name, cluster_name, cluster_uuid, etc...

What am I missing? Are there any other log files I can collect for further troubleshooting?

Does the filebeat log show it's connected to Elasticsearch?
Are you using the default index name in the output?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.