No debugging data returning after restarting beat with debugging/logging turned on

I'm using elasticsearch w/ Kibana 4.0 w/ the AWS managed setup. I'm working on figuring out if all my beats are actually reporting so I'm checking as I install topbeat on each new system throughout my environment. I have some instances running in Rackspace, AWS, and Azure, all that have to report to the AWS managed elasticsearch instance. Currently I've got the beats service started on a few machines, and when I go back to restart with debugging I'm running into this situation...

ubuntu@ip-xxx-yy-zz-ddd:/etc/topbeat$ sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat stop
ubuntu@ip-xxx-yy-zz-ddd:/etc/topbeat$ sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat start  -c ./topbeat.yml -e -v -d "*"
ubuntu@ip-xxx-yy-zz-ddd:/etc/topbeat$

I stop topbeat with "sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat stop" and then start it up again with "sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat start -c ./topbeat.yml -e -v -d "*"" but then I get nothing after that. If I just issue a "sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat start" I get "/usr/bin/topbeat-god already running."

Why is the debugging/logging data not coming out at stdout? Any troubleshooting idea?

Hi @adron, the init.d script does not accept those parameters. Try this instead:

sudo /etc/init.d/topbeat stop
sudo /usr/bin/topbeat -c ./topbeat.yml -e -v -d "*"
1 Like

Just curious, where is this located in the documentation? That is, where and how to use examples. I found the area that explains the switches but there doesn't seem to be anything specific about how the service is or isn't running on the various operating systems.

Adron, please see this ticket. If you specific recommendations, we would love to have your comments. Thanks

1 Like