I have a multi-tier elastic cluster setup.
My Hot tier is made up of 4 nodes. I need to replace one of these nodes with a completely new instance (machine).
Can anyone recommend the best procedure to follow to swap out the existing node with a new one?
Would it be a situation similar to the updates process "of sort":
- Build up the new node but do not start elasticsearch on it
- Disable allocation
- Copy the index/elasticsearch data from the current node to the new node
- Update the YML on the new node to point at the copied data
- Ensure that elasticsearch has the correct permissions to the copied data
- Ensure the YML has the correct setup
If the new node is to have the same name as the old node:
- Update the hostname of the new node to the name of the old node
- Set the node name on the new instances YML to match the name from the old node
- Start the new node
You then re-enable shard allocation and wait for the cluster to report a GREEN health state.
Does the above sound like a reasonable solution?