Node Replicas suggestion on production environment

(Phani Nadiminti) #1

Hi All,

I have four node cluster established for production i have 5 shards and 1 replica is there for every index. Four nodes are master and data enabled.Now can I increase replica to 2 to increase search performance on cluster please suggest me how can we get more search performance.

Thanks
phani

(Mark Walkom) #2

Are you having performance problems now? How are you measuring this?

What does your config look like? What specs are your nodes?

(Phani Nadiminti) #3

Hi Mark,

we have designed search applications based on elastic search.Now performance of search is fine and we are getting results faster.on my node search apps goes on increasing day by day.so I read in es guide increasing replicas for index will increase search performance i thought like if search apps increasing we will hit more index request so es should server all those requests.as of now performance wise we are good.
I am measuring speed from search apps based on elastic search.nodes are establish on different servers on RHEL enterprise 6.5 operating system and i have 3 core processor on each node and 24 GB of RAM for each node.configured 12GB heapsapce for each node.all es configurations are defined in /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch
file like directory paths and heapspace etc...

Thanks
phani

(Mark Walkom) #4

Replicas add concurrency, which can definitely improve performance.
This is something you would need to test and measure though.

(Phani Nadiminti) #5

Okay Mark Thank you and please suggest me with above 4 node architecture is it safe to add 2 replicas for each index ?

Thanks
phani

(Mark Walkom) #6

It's safe but may be overkill.

You also really want an uneven number of nodes to protect against the possibility of a split brain.

(Magnus B├Ąck) #7

But as long as discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes is set to N/2+1 an even N should be fine, right?

(Mark Walkom) #8

True.

(system) #9