Not able to login even after correct credentials in x-pack

Hi Team,

I am not able to login to elastic even after typing the correct username and password.
Screenshot of the user details :

In the above image, role is "viewer".

We are able to login to those users whose role is "superadmin" only.

Previously the normal users were also working fine but from few days we are not able to login.
It is showing this error:

Please help us to resolve this. Thank You.

To help diagnosis, could you please enable trace logging on the Elasticsearch side, capture and share Elasticsearch logs when your login fails? You can enable trace logging with

PUT _cluster/settings
{
  "transient": {
    "logger.org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.authc": 'trace'
  }
}

It is also worth to try authenticate directly to Elasticsearch to narrow down the problem. You can do that with a curl command like:

curl -u kibanaview -k https://Host_Addess_of_Elasticsearch:PORT/_security/_authenticate
1 Like

Hi Yang_Wang,

Thanks for the reply.

Command :

curl -u kibanaview -k https://Host_Addess_of_Elasticsearch:PORT/_security/_authenticate

Output:

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":".security-7","node":"OfKm4JGPRVeE0hxRjBFO9w","reason":{"type":"query_shard_exception","reason":"failed to create query: [prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes].","index_uuid":"YS35eNaIQMaSMyhLYObY6Q","index":".security-7","caused_by":{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}}}],"caused_by":{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}},"status":400}

Is there anyway to resolve the issue without removing "search.allow_expensive_queries:false" ??

Thank You.

Thanks for the additional information.

What is the exact definition of the viewer role? Is it the built-in one? What version of Elasticsearch are you using?

The error you are having most likely means you have a wildcard in your application privilege definition. If the viewer role is the built-in one, that should not happen. The other possibility is anonymous roles. Do you have anonymous access enabled?

Also, please try grant superuser role to your kibanaview user and execute the curl command again. Please provide the response for diagnosis. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

viewer role is the build-in one provided by elastic.

Yes I have anonymous access. For guest user, I have provide the main elastic username and password provide by x-pack authentication.

When i grant superuser role to kibanaview user. I am able to login.
Output of curl command:

{"username":"kibanaview","roles":["viewer","superuser"],"full_name":"kibanaview","email":"","metadata":{},"enabled":true,"authentication_realm":{"name":"default_native","type":"native"},"lookup_realm":{"name":"default_native","type":"native"},"authentication_type":"realm"}

Thank You

Yes I have anonymous access. For guest user, I have provide the main elastic username and password provide by x-pack authentication.

That is not the same anonymous access that I was referring to. Based on the output of Authenticate API, I think you don't actually have anonymous access enabled.

The builtin viewer should not be causing any issue by itself. I am running out of ideas. Could you please kindly enable server side trace logging for the authorization process and share the log? You can enable the trace log with

PUT _cluster/settings
{
    "logger.org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.authz": "trace"
  }
}

You can remove it afterwards with

PUT _cluster/settings
{
    "logger.org.elasticsearch.xpack.security.authz": null
  }
}

Thanks!

Hello,

As suggested I have enabled server-side trace logging.

Will summarize the issue again:

1. I have disabled expensive queries (search.allow_expensive_queries: false) in our Elasticsearch cluster. After this changes :
  • If the user has "superuser role" access then only i am able to login.
  • Other than superuser, no other users are able to login. Example : I have a user with only viewier (in-built) access. It is giving error in this case
  1. If I enable expensive queries in our Elasticsearch cluster, then everything is working fine.

Currently, expensive queries are disabled. Below are logs for both the user.

i. User having superuser role

{"username":"kibanauser","roles":["viewer","superuser"],"full_name":"kibanaview","email":"","metadata":{},"enabled":true,"authentication_realm":{"name":"default_native","type":"native"},"lookup_realm":{"name":"default_native","type":"native"},"authentication_type":"realm"}

ii. User with non-superuser role

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":".security-7","node":"OfKm4JGPRVeE0hxRjBFO9w","reason":{"type":"query_shard_exception","reason":"failed to create query: [prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes].","index_uuid":"YS35eNaIQMaSMyhLYObY6Q","index":".security-7","caused_by":{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}}}],"caused_by":{"type":"exception","reason":"[prefix] queries cannot be executed when 'search.allow_expensive_queries' is set to false. For optimised prefix queries on text fields please enable [index_prefixes]."}},"status":400}

I think it is better to open an issue in Github, it seems that there are a lot of things in Kibana that needs search.allow_expensive_queries set as true, for example, the SIEM module and the Alerts will break if you set it to false.

But I think that this being false shouldn't break things like users logging in.

What you have shared is client side response, not server side logs (let alone trace logs). You have shared them before and unfortunately they are not sufficient to pin down exactly what triggers the exception.

@leandrojmp is right that many features won't work without search.allow_expensive_queries. So if you are after those features, you'll have to set it to true.

The setting can affect authentication in a very specific way and it should not happen for the builtin viewer role and that's where I'd like to dig a bit more to pin down the exact cause of it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.