NPE on scrolled queries

Hi,

I have a problme with a cluster of 4 nodes with ES 2.4.0 upgraded from 2.3.4.
Currently I have 8 indexes, called url-0,url-1,...,url-8 with around 1B documents.
The template for each index is

{
    "template" : "url-*",
    "settings" : {            
        "number_of_shards"   : "1",
        "number_of_replicas" : "0",
        "refresh_interval"   : "180s"
    },
    "mappings" : {
        "url" : {
            "_all" : {"enabled" : false},
            "_timestamp" : {"enabled" : false},
            "_source": {"enabled": false},
            "_ttl" : { "enabled" : false },
            "properties" : {
                "url" : {"type" : "string", "index": "not_analyzed", "store" : true},
                "domain" : {"type": "string", "index" : "not_analyzed", "store" : false},
                "scheme" : {"type": "string", "index" : "not_analyzed", "store" : false},
                "parsedUrl" : {"type": "string", "index": "analyzed", "store": false},
                "workerIndex": {"type": "integer", "store" : false},
                "error": {"type": "boolean", "store" : false},
                "banned": {"type": "boolean", "store" : false},
                "timestamp": {"type": "date", "store" : true},
                "depth": {"type": "integer", "store" : true},
                "processed": {"type": "boolean", "store" : false}

}
        }
    }

When I execute the query

curl -XPOST localhost:9200/url/url/_search?search_type=scan&scroll=5m&size=50&_source=url&preference=_shards:0;_prefer_node:XqfWWAGFRdCPo98qIeFfGg

I get

{

"_scroll_id": "c2Nhbjs4OzMyNzUyNzpYcWZXV0FHRlJkQ1BvOThxSWVGZkdnOzQ3MTkzODplTDZZa3AxSlRVQ3lHd1FMTjR3T3NnOzgxMzY4ODpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzgxMzY4NzpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzgxMzY4NjpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzQ3MTkzOTplTDZZa3AxSlRVQ3lHd1FMTjR3T3NnOzMxNDc1NDpqbUdTWGRmWVRTdWFIT1FFSmZ1WVN3OzgxMzY4OTpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzE7dG90YWxfaGl0czoxMDEzOTAyNTk1Ow==",
    "took": 8221,
    "timed_out": false,
    "_shards": {
        "total": 8,
        "successful": 8,
        "failed": 0
    },
    "hits": {
        "total": 1013902595,
        "max_score": 0,
        "hits": [ ]
    }
}

but

If I query for the scrollId I get an error and a NPE on the server.

culr -XPOST localhost:9200/_search/scroll?scroll=1m -d '
{
  "scroll_id": "c2Nhbjs4OzMyNzUyNzpYcWZXV0FHRlJkQ1BvOThxSWVGZkdnOzQ3MTkzODplTDZZa3AxSlRVQ3lHd1FMTjR3T3NnOzgxMzY4ODpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzgxMzY4NzpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzgxMzY4NjpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzQ3MTkzOTplTDZZa3AxSlRVQ3lHd1FMTjR3T3NnOzMxNDc1NDpqbUdTWGRmWVRTdWFIT1FFSmZ1WVN3OzgxMzY4OTpwSHVGaVJRM1JSYTIwaWRxNTlFbXNBOzE7dG90YWxfaGl0czoxMDEzOTAyNTk1Ow"
}'

result:

{

"_scroll_id": "c2NhbjswOzE7dG90YWxfaGl0czoxMDEzOTAyNTk1Ow==",
    "took": 105,
    "timed_out": false,
    "_shards": {
        "total": 8,
        "successful": 0,
        "failed": 8,
        "failures": [
            {
                "shard": -1,
                "index": null,
                "reason": {
                    "type": "null_pointer_exception",
                    "reason": null
                }
            }
        ]
    },
    "hits": {
        "total": 1013902595,
        "max_score": 0,
        "hits": [ ]
    }

}

And in the logs:

RemoteTransportException[[c2m-es-1][][indices:data/read/search[phase/scan/scroll]]]; nested: NullPointerException;
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.elasticsearch.search.fetch.source.FetchSourceSubPhase.hitExecute(FetchSourceSubPhase.java:79)
        at org.elasticsearch.search.fetch.FetchPhase.execute(FetchPhase.java:188)
        at org.elasticsearch.search.SearchService.executeScan(SearchService.java:342)

Any hints?

PS:I got the original query from the logs of Elasticsearch-hadoop library, which I currently use with Apache Spark.
Marco

UPDATE: It turned out to be a problem related to the _source parameter in the query and the fact that the _source field is disabled in the mapping. Is that a bug?

Yes the problems seems to be caused by disabling the source, for sure we should return a better error than a null pointer exception though. I will try to fix this. Feel free to open an issue.

Cheers
Luca

Hi Javanna,

Here it is https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/20408

Anyway, this error was originally caused by the elasticsearch-spark_2.11 (v.2.4.0) library, and in particular by the SqlContext which in some way wraps the underlying query to elasticsearch.
So, the questions are:
1)Is there a way to workaround this problem (as far as I can see, the _source field is automatically added by a query builder)
2)If not, is that a bug (or lack) in the elasticsearch-spark library as well?

Marco

The bug in elasticsearch is throwing null pointer exception when trying to access the source if it is disabled. I will look into changing the error message, but if we get such a request, we will still have to return an error.

I am not sure about the spark integration. Who set up the mapping? Looks like somebody relies on the _source when it's not there. Not sure whether this is a bug or just bad interaction between your mappings and queries generated by the integration or something along those lines.

I refer to SearchRequestBuilder.java, where the scrolled query for Spark is built. Looks like it does not handle the case with _source field disabled.

Yep seems like it requires source to be enabled. On the other hand, how could it get those fields content without it?

In my case _source field is disabled, but url field is stored. So, it should be possible to retrieve it in some way.Isn't it?

yes using fields rather than _source .

Cheers
Luca

Yes, of course. But looks like Spark integration does not support the fields parameters yet.