"object mapping for [monitor] tried to parse field [monitor] as object, but found a concrete value"

I am using heartbeat 6.2.2, logstash 6.2.3, elasticsearch 6.2.3

When sending heartbeat tcp monitor data to logstash, i get the following error message:

[2018-06-28T00:57:22,253][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"heartbeat-2018.06.28", :_type=>"doc", :_routing=>nil}, #<LogStash::Event:0x25ec0801>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"heartbeat-2018.06.28", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"SRrARGQBYXi60TGvyC0m", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"object mapping for [monitor] tried to parse field [monitor] as object, but found a concrete value"}}}}

I checked my templates, deleted the target index so it re-recreated, but i am not sure what I am missing.

input {
  beats {
port => 5044
ssl_certificate_authorities => ["/etc/cert.crt"]
ssl_certificate => "/etc/key.crt"
ssl_key => "/etc/key.key"
  }
}

} else if [beat][name] == "elk-heartbeat" or [fields][beat][class] == "elk-heartbeat" {
    elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["http://ip-here:9200"]
     ... * removing ssl and user/pass info *
    index => "heartbeat-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    }

and then its a simple elasticsearch output. es is not using any pipelines. but as a result the "monitor" field in kibana shows up as one string which is the properly formatted json object, instead of monitor.up, monitor.ip, and the like.

i am using the index template that came with the 6.2.2 heartbeats. (i did update the template to apply to heartbeat-* indices, not just heartbeat-version-* )
any thoughts?

edit:
kibana field looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/B3rCoeM.png

managed to track it down. looks like previous iterations of the indices had that field as a vector, instead of object. had to stop all log flow, remove all old indices, remove kibana index patterns, restart log flow, have the index create correctly and then re-create kibana index pattern for the group.

feel free to close.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.