Optimizing Document Retrieval from Elasticsearch: Which Method Works Best?

Use case:
I want to fetch multiple documents by document ID, in a single query. To reduce network calls.

I was exploring the optimal way to write this query. There are multiple ways I find that could do this but I am not sure which is the most optimal way in case of smaller queries (query with less than 100 ID to find) & larger queries (query with greater than 1000 ID to find)

listing down the ways by which we can do it

1. Single Query with Terms Query: Sending a query with a terms query targeting multiple values for a specific field to streamline the request process.
GET /index/_search
{
  "query": {
    "terms": {
      "keys": ["key1", "key2", "key3"]
    }
  }
}
  1. Multi-Get Request (GET //_mget): Retrieving multiple documents in a single request by specifying their IDs, providing efficient retrieval with reduced network overhead.

2. Multi-Search Request (POST /_msearch): Executing multiple search requests within a single HTTP request, useful for scenarios requiring simultaneous execution of several queries.

If you know the document IDs I would expect the multi-get API to be the best one as it will retrieve documents even before they are searchable. I would however recommend you test for yourself as this may vary by use case.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.