Order data based on timestamp

Hi everyone,
So i'm brand new to the world of Kibana and its nomenclature. I've been floating through the internet for a while to try to look for a solution to my problems and haven't found much of use.
I'm hoping people here can at least point me in the right direction.

So I have some apps that produce some logs. Let's say the logs have this format (which i gather is logfmt):

2019-06-19 15:50:41 +0000 [info]: #0 starting fluentd worker pid=740 ppid=6 worker=0
2019-06-19 15:50:41 +0000 [info]: #0 [in_tail_kube_proxy] following tail of /var/log/kube-proxy.log
2019-06-19 18:07:21 +0000 [info]: #0 [filter_kube_metadata] stats - namespace_cache_size: 1, pod_cache_size: 1, namespace_cache_api_updates: 2, pod_cache_api_updates: 2, id_cache_miss: 2
2019-06-19 18:07:21 +0000 [info]: #0 stats - namespace_cache_size: 1, pod_cache_size: 1, namespace_cache_api_updates: 2, pod_cache_api_updates: 2, id_cache_miss: 2

I'm sending these logs off to es and visualizing everything on Kibana.
However, I don't get a timestamp but I do have these other fields:

_id string
_index string
_score number
_source _source
_type string
container_info string
container_info.keyword string
docker.container_id string
docker.container_id.keyword string

A sample event looks like this:

{
  "_index": "test",
  "_type": "test",
  "_id": "1",
  "_version": 1,
  "_score": 1,
  "_source": {
    "log": "time=\"2019-06-19T17:52:06Z\" level=debug msg=\"Using default configmap for namespace 'default'\"\n",
    "stream": "stderr",
}

How could I "tell kibana to use the timestemp field within log as a timestamp"?

Kibana will only know to use that as a timestamp field if you index it into Elasticsearch as a timestamp. This will require either using ingest pipelines in Elasticsearch or using Logstash in front of Elasticsearch to parse and enrich your logs. I'd suggest asking in one of those forums if you want more details on how to accomplish this with your specific logs.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.