Overall average line in a chart

Hi,
I am creating a chart in Timelion to show a bar chart with the amount of docs (requests) per day. In this chart I would like to add a horizontal line with the average of docs per day over all buckets. I can determine this average using pipeline aggregations. But I would really like to do this in Timelion. Does anyone have an idea how to do this? Below is the query I can use to obtain the avg_daily_visits.

GET raw_events-*/_search
{
  "size": 0,
  "aggs": {
    "by_day": {
      "date_histogram": {
        "field": "createDate",
        "interval": "day"
      }
    },
    "avg_daily_visists": {
      "avg_bucket": {
        "buckets_path": "by_day>_count" 
      }
    }
  }
}
1 Like

This isn't currently possible with Timelion. However it is something we are working on at the moment.

And when @shaunak says "at the moment" he literally meant at this extra very moment. Like now. Like here it is:

For Kibana 4.x:

For Kibana 5:

See the README.md for installation instructions. I didn't publish a package for them, but installing from Github is easier than frosting a cupcake. Which, I guess if don't bake much, might seem intimidating, but I assure you, both installing that plugin and frosting a cupcake are very easy.

Plus, you get a bonus function, .orderby() which orders a multi-series list by one of the same functions as .aggregate(), or by the label of the series.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Cool, going to try it, I'll figure out later on what is easier. Baking the cup cake or adding it to my installation :slight_smile:

I got the following warning when doing what is stated in the readme:

log [17:58:24.801] [warning] Plugin "timelion-extras" was disabled because it expected Kibana version "0.1.0", and found "5.0.0-rc1".

As it turns out, you have to change the version in the package.json from 0.1.0 to the version you are using. 5.0.0-rc1 in my case. Then restart Kibana and it worked perfectly for me. I am happy :slight_smile:

Whoops, missed that. I updated the README.md, thanks!