Overriding filebeat palo alto modules @timestamp

Recently, I set up a filebeat to receive palo alto and sophos data. Filebeat module parsed the data as the timestamp.
Instead of using the timestamp in log, i want to use the received time as @timestamp.
Does there any way to override the @timestamp parsed by filebeat module using receive time.

You'll have to update the ingest pipelines.

I understand that we can override @timstamp using "target field:@timestamp" with a specific time fields.
However, how can I get the server current time or the log received time to override the @timestamp

U can use _ingest.timestamp for the time it gets into Elasticsearch. Is there a reason u want to do this? The@timestamp fields is meant for when the event took place regardless of when it got to Elasticsearch.

As Palo Alto Log do not show the timezone of it.
Therefore, I planned to standardize the timestamp to storage time.

Are u sending multiple Palo alto logs to the same filebeat instance and are they in different time zones? If so, one thing u could do is start multiple instances of the module and set a field with the respective timezone or add script processor to filebeat to set the timezone based off of log source IP... There are a bunch of things u could do. I personally wouldn't use the ingest time as ur source of truth for event timestamps as it could be widely inaccurate.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.