Parsing date format

Dear All,
I am currently learning how to parse data with logstash and pass them to Logstash. Right now I am confused on how to parse date correctly, as you can see, I have a timestamp with the format
yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss.SS
Right now I am using the following for getting the timestamp, which works(but with a minor issue)

filter {
    grok {
        match => { "message" => "%{DATESTAMP:event_time},%{NUMBER:coord1},%{NUMBER:coord2},%{NUMBER:depth},%{NUMBER:magnitude},%{WORD:magtype}" }
    }

mutate {
        convert => [ "event_time", "string" ]
        }
    date {
        locale => "en"
        match => ["event_time", "yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss'.'SS"]
        target => "@timestamp"
        remove_field => [ "timestamp" ]
        add_field => { "debug" => "timestampMatched"}
    }
}

What happened was that, after I parse my data with this configuration, a date like "2016/11/14" became "0016/11/14".

As we can see here, the DATESTAMP grok pattern consists of YEAR, MONTHNUM and other grok patterns. The YEAR grok pattern contains only 2 digits, which I think is the source of this problem, but I have no idea how to overcome it.

IF I didn't understand wrongly, what I need to do in the Logstash config is to extract the event_time from the log message with grok, then use mutate to change it into a string, and extract the date time pattern with "date" . And now I think the problem is I need to take the whole date stamp including all the four digits of the Year parameter, but I am not sure how to do that. It seems like grok pattern of YEAR only comes with 2 digit.
*I have tried using regex in grok pattern, but it doesn't work either.

I suggest you replace that with either (?<event_time>[^,]+) or (?<event_time>[\d:/\.]+)

1 Like

Dear Badger,
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It worked well.
Cheers,
TK

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.