Performance impact when encapsulating two bool query

Hello,

I am doing a search on an index with a filter on a field which is a text with a field analyzer. In my query I want to have all the records which contains exactly both of the fields I have specified in my query, or none of those two parameters (based of some inputs of the user).

I have found two ways of doing the first query :

• With two terms query in the must query
    {
      "size": 0,
      "query": {
        "bool": {
          "must": [
            { "terms":
              {
                 "features": ["feature1"],
                 "boost": 1.0
              }
            },
            { "terms":
              {
                "features": ["feature2"],
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }
  • With two terms query encapsulated in another bool query, so two encapsulated bool queries :
    {
      "size": 0,
      "query": {
            {
                  { "terms":
                    {
                      "features": ["feature1"],
                    }
                  },
                  { "terms":
                    {
                      "features": ["feature2"],
                    }
                  }
                ]
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }

The second bool query is redundant in that case, but it actually helps me in my code when getting all the records that does not contain both those input parameters. I found out that without the bool encapsulator, the must_not query on its own behaves as an OR operator in SQL, but encapsulating with a bool query with a must, makes it behaving as an AND operator (which is what I need).

Regardless of that, I would like to know if encapsulating two bool queries this way has an impact in terms of performance for the query. In all the tests I have done, the second query run is always faster (whether it contained the encapsulated bool query or not), but I could not find out if one of them was actually faster than the other one.

Thanks in advance!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.