Performance test 2.0 to 5.0 for server set up

Hello guys,

We are moving away from our legacy version of elasticsearch 2.0 (with marvel and alerting) to 5.0 with xpack.

I was wondering what is an easy and good way to performance test elastic? I want to see how it affects the performance from upgrading, and to see if the xpack plugin requires us to have a better servers because of the additional plugins.

Our server configuration as of now:

3x machines (1 node per machine) with 4 cores and 32GB of ram

I am looking to change that to:

each machine have 3 nodes, using containers. each node will have 2 cores and 9GB of RAM. What do you think?

Why not go to 6.0?

Have you see Rally - https://github.com/elastic/rally - it's for benchmarking Elasticsearch :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not see the point in having a larger number of smaller nodes on the same hardware as it increases overhead and complexity. The point where you start having more than 1 node per server is generally when you have more than 64GB RAM on the host and want to maximise heap space, which does not seem to be the case here.

1 Like

Out end goal is to be on 6.0. As we have set up 5.0 a month ago, we are just going to benchmark just to see how xpack affects the system.

Thank you for the rally recommendation!

Thanks for your help,

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.